1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salary for unqualified teacher in an Independent GTP school

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by rachie_2003, May 24, 2011.

1. rachie_2003

rachie_2003 New commenter

I have been accepted on a GTP Secondary course for Sept 2011-12 which my employer told me to apply for however now I have found out that they aren't going to be paying my fees. Can they do this? Also how much should they be paying me as I know it's different to the unqualified status pay scale for mainstream schools. If anyone could help then that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. As an independent school they can pay you anything from minimum wage to ... well ... anything!
    By the sounds of it, you've applied for (and been accepted on) a self-funded course, which is exactly as it sounds. Very often the school does cover the training fees (either they pay them directly, or they pay it to you as part of you salary, and then you pass it on to your trainer)- but this is not always the case and is open to negotiation. What did you discuss with the provider during the application/interview/selection process?