1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salary for OTT's once qualified

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by slcabrera, Jul 24, 2011.

1. could someone clarify what the rules for salary are for OTT's who have become qualified is? I was under the impression that you transferred from the Unqualified scale to M-payscale according to how many years experience you have. However, I have been told that I will move upto the closest salary on the M-payscale from the Unqualified scale. There is obviously a gap in pay with the latter scenario and as I have just qualified would like a better understanding of what I am entitled to!
    Is this up to the discretion of the headteacher? Is there documentation to explain this?
    Thanks so much!

2. Hey, don't know if this will help but from talks I have had with my school they will place me on the scale that is where my skills are. At the moment I am level A as an unqualified teacher until I finish the course.

3. Your head is correct that the regulations require you to be placed on the M point just above where you were being paid on the U scale.

Any work you have done for agencies, overseas or for independent schools does not count for pay progression, hence your prior experience does not have to be taken into account. The only experience a head has to recognise is work in UK state schools where you were paid on the M scale. However, in order to attract people to work in shortage subjects or areas, a head may choose to pay higher up the scale to attract someone. You could try to negotiate with your head, or if they are not open to this, look to move on if you are in a shortage area.