1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salary for Oman???

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by NQTabroad, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Hello all,
    I am a teacher with 2 years UK experience. Is £1500/945OR a month an ok salary for Oman? I am well aware salaries are not as high as the UAE but is this a good enough salary to live off and save at least £1000 a month? I ve seen online other teacher being paid much less than this.
    That would leave me with 445 OR to myself every month. Would that be enough? I ve heard of a family of 4 living off 400OR. I just don t understand how much the cost of living is over there. I keep hearing conflicting things about this.

2. Be very, very, careful as there are some awful schools in Oman.
    I am assuming that your accommodation is provided. Given that, yes, 445 OR is enough to live off. There is plenty of information available on the Internet as I found it and did a complete budget myself, before moving over here.
    It is an ok salary. Other schools (ABA etc) get far more. Other schools get less. I am, however, concerned, as the salary looks like one from my school's scale and you would definitely not want to come to my school.
    Oh, and a disclaimer. Yes, it is enough to live on, but you wouldn't have wads of money for travelling during holidays etc. You'd be able to run a car, have an Internet connection and a modest social life on that amount, but that's about it. Of course, it all depends on your habits and preferences.

3. Just pm'd you. Would be interesting to know what school you are in. The school Im going to seems to have a good rep.

4. Hello,
    I have just been reading your post as I am thinking about accepting a post in Oman. What are the schools to be careful of? You've scared me! Could you private message me please?

5. PM me with thename of the school and I'll tell you if it's ok or not. If I don't know, I have contacts that I can ask.

6. PM me the school, you need to be very careful !