1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salary for IB school in Southern Spain

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by valem, Jan 29, 2016.

1. valem

valem New commenter

Hi all.....searched the forum and I am finding many conflicting answers to the salary question.
    I'm mindful I can't name the schools.....or can I?

I've applied for Maths teaching jobs in well known and well established (I think) international schools in Spain ( Marbella area and Sotogrande area if that helps) and have two interviews next week and wondered if anybody can give me a ball park figure for a starting salary? And also what other benefits I should (or should not) expect.... I'm new to international schools but have taught for 15 years in the UK. I have a young son coming up to school starting age.

I'm aware that it's not going to be as high as the UK and that cost of living is possibly less, but I'm trying to work out what would be a reasonable expectation for the first year or two?

Thanks

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Are you registered with Search Associates? If not, then do it, its free for Brits. It would give you a breakdown of salary and saving potential and whats included in the package (still dont know why TES doesn't do this), as i presume the job will also be advertised there. Its a school in Western Europe, do dont expect to much from the "package".

3. valem

valem New commenter

Thanks for your reply....

I've Checked at search associates and its a similar story..."competitive salary" .

I guess I just really need to know what is a decent salary for an experienced teacher at an IB or International school in Spain so I can at least have an idea?

The fact there is little or no info on this all over the web is worrying....and is probably telling me the money is poor?

4. debbie4us

debbie4us New commenter

I've sent a pm

valem likes this.
  5. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

The salary will certainly not be what you are used to in the UK. You will also be very lucky indeed to get ANY sort of "package". The usual is flights home at the end of the contract and not much else. On the other hand, the Spanish national health service is very good, so there's really no need for private health insurance. Public transport is also cheap. As far as the salary goes, if they're offering much less than 2000 euros a month (gross) you might struggle. Sotogrande is right on the beach close to Gibraltar and it was built for the super-rich, who provide a large part of the students at the school there. This means that it's highly unlikely you'll be able to live near the school, but there are cheaper areas nearby.

I've met teachers and students from the school over the years when they've been on field trips to Madrid or when I've taken soccer teams down to play against them. The kids were polite and well-behaved and the teachers seemed happy with their lot...

JL48 and valem like this.
  6. dumbbells66

Never seen "competitive salary" written on Search, but if that was me i would be very concerned. If you are looking for comparable salaries to the UK, then i suggest you broaden your horizons, and look further afield. If you do find out much it is then please let us know

7. valem

valem New commenter

Thanks for your replies.

8. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

I've never heard of any school in the South of Spain offering a 'package'. Everything comes out of your salary, though if the school really wants you your salary could be negotiable. We used to get a govt 'Christmas pressie' of a couple of hundred euros each year, but that stopped a long time ago due to 'la crisis'. Also, pay rises are, generally, few and far between, often not even covering rises in inflation. Working in Spain is more about the bigger picture of quality of life, though salary is obviously one factor to help aid that quality of life.

Finishing the school year around the last week of June is very welcome! But check that the school will pay you during the Summer hols!

9. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

As above, there will almost certainly be no 'package'. Spain is a very desirable place to live and work and therefore they don't need to be offering apartments and company cars to teachers to attract the right staff whereas no one is going to go and work in Kuwait if they're not having everything paid for.

If you want a 'package' you'll have to look at some less desirable places. It's a balancing act between money and quality of life.

10. docHolliday

docHolliday New commenter

I'm at an international school in Madrid that has IB.

The salary is about half of what I would expect back in the UK but I am happy to be here. I would guess you may be offered around 24,000 Euros a year. Undoubtedly there is a better work/life balance here.

Generally there are no packages but the salary is fine for living here as costs are much lower than in Britain.

11. cherpat87

cherpat87 New commenter

I have been offered 32000 euros gross, just one year experience in barcelona, do you think this is a good offer, Im a physics teacher.

12. dumbbells66

If you are a physics teacher do a bit more research and you could potentially walk into a job in other countries and earn double that, and have a tonne of free stuff thown in. Physics teachrs are like rocking hourse poo on the international circuit. But you are very late in the recruitment season

13. Carlsberg

Carlsberg New commenter

Agree- try Oman

14. cherpat87

cherpat87 New commenter

Really, thanks for that. The thing I am nqt, most international school ask for more experience.

15. dumbbells66

You are a physics teacher, honestly you are so rare most schools wont care, and just as long as you are a qualified teacher they wont much worry about your experience.

16. musikteech

musikteech Occasional commenter

barcelona is better than Oman. Oman is full of mountainous scenery with not much to do.

17. cherpat87

cherpat87 New commenter

hmmmm lots to think about. I do really like Barcelona though, just worried whether I will be okay on that income. Ive been offered m4 here in the UK but really want to go abroad.

18. irenejaime

irenejaime New commenter

Hello everyone
    I am a Maths teacher from Spain that has taught in the UK for two years. I have been offered a 10 month contract, from September to June (not included summer holidays), with a gross monthly pay of 1800 euros, with the likelihood of renewal the following September, at an international school in Sothern Spain.
    I am not happy with the conditions but I would like to hear your opinions.
    Thanks.

19. dumbbells66

Avoid avoid avoid

20. debbie4us

debbie4us New commenter

Agree with revan66. Avoid for 10 month contract and low salary. You should be looking for a minimum of 2,400 euros pm gross (I would say) and 12 month contract. Rents are rising here, if you can find somewhere, 2 bed apartments can be as much as 800 euros plus bills, depending on the area. Feel free to PM me.