1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salary for acting headship?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by freddiecider, Jul 14, 2015.

1. freddiecider

freddiecider New commenter

I am currently a Deputy Head of a large primary school. I have been asked to be an Acting Head of a smaller primary school. As yet no contract or salary has been discussed. Should I expect a pay rise for such a move or will I be paid at the same rate as I receive in my current role?

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I would imagine it would depend on the HT's salary range in the smaller primary school.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Not enough information freddiecider

Is this an LA school on STPCD conditions? Community or VA?

Is this a secondment? How long is it for?

As there are no national pay scales any longer you need to agree the salary before you accept it. If the governors of the schools have each set their own payscales it's possible that the scale for HT of a very small school could be less than the DHT of a large school. That would be for the substantive appointment though. For Acting you'd presumably only agree to it for a pay rise for the period of secondment.

4. freddiecider

freddiecider New commenter

It is a secondment for two terms. Both schools are local authority ones. My current school has 400+ pupils but the new one has around 200.

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Still not enough information, Freddiecider.

All I can say is that you may find that the HT's salary at the school is less than you are already earning. If so, you cannot be expected to take a drop in what you earn. But don't expect it necessarily to be higher. Even if you don't earn extra money, you will be earning greater experience.

6. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

Wise words from nomad.

Heads of small schools often earn less than DH of larger schools even under the old national pay scales.

7. no one

no one New commenter

I am also going to be an associate head from September. When the authority asked me to do it, one of the first things which I asked about was the salary and I managed to negotiate it higher than had originally been offered. In your position, I would make a phone call to whoever asked you to do it and ask about pay. If you are not happy with it, say why, and see if you can get more.

8. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

As other posters have mentioned, it all depends on the pay scale for SLT in the specific school. You'll probably realise that the HT you are covering / replacing was getting paid less than what you was as a DHT at a larger primary. You could negotiate with them and get them to match your salary requirements because although it's career advancement for you, it seems as if they are 'mugging' you off with the slighter lower pay.

9. The salary for any acting leadership post is determined but the governing body. Generally its part of the DHT contract that deputisation as acting HT for up to 3 months is part of the role. Longer may attract additional temporary salary.