1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salary for a new primary deputy head

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Smallpots, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Smallpots

Smallpots New commenter

Hi there. Does anyone know what a reasonable leadership spine would be for a first deputy headship in a primary group 2 school? I have been asked what my expectation would be and I really don't know how to answer that one. Any ideas would be very welcome. Thanks.

2. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

It depends where it is, the category of the school, etc.

3. Smallpots

Smallpots New commenter

South London, group 2. Would be moving from UPR2 so asking for anything less than L7 seems foolish but is that an unreasonable expectation?

4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Isn't this more down to negotiation rather than any specific 'value'?

Have you already been offered the job? If you refuse over pay then are any of the other candidates likely to step up (or even exist)? What was the wage of the previous incumbent? How much does the Head/governors want you? Is the prospect of you taking your bat to another school worth paying a few extra grand to avoid? Is there any chance you can take your bat elsewhere?

When negotiating with supply agencies I often consult with (buy a few drinks for) a friend of mine who's in business-to-business sales. This means he's a top negotiator and though knowing nothing about education can run me through similar scenarios to above and is well worth the beer expenditure.

Do you know someone similar who can coach you accordingly. Heads and governors are not even as good negotiators as agencies so any little bit like that could put you ahead.

5. Smallpots

Smallpots New commenter

Thanks for your reply. The job market has changed a lot since I last moved schools and negotiating salaries is not something I have any experience of. My priority is to develop my career but equally do not want to find I have massively upped my workload for no financial gain. I am simply trying to gain a realistic idea of what a reasonable expectation might be.

6. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Perhaps reposting this in the Headteachers and/or SLT forum might help.

7. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

I think that L6-11 Is reasonable then.

8. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

my DH range is 5-9.

9. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter