1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Salary dropped from UPS 1 to MPS on change of contract

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by samrwill, Mar 30, 2016.

  1. samrwill

    samrwill New commenter

    Long story short.
    Three years ago I changed contracts to a zero hours contract employed by the school where I had previously worked for 5 years.

    I logged into my TP scheme page and have found that there have been no pension contributions or time worked since march 2013. I also noticed that my pay dropped off of the UPS2 I had previously been paid down to MPS. This in effect was a reduction of about 5k per year. I didn't pay too much attention at the time as I was going through a rather nasty divorce. I have all payslips and paperwork kept filed away.

    I work part time, generally a small number of hours per week, no pay during holidays which suits me fine at the moment. However, the private company who manages the payroll are less than forthcoming about sorting this out.

    I have 2 questions:

    a) Where can I go to for help if the payroll company fail to sort this out?
    b) Is there any good reason why my salary would have dropped off the UPS?

    Thanks in anticipation.....
  2. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter


    Oh dear!

    I would see the no-pensions issue as very important . . . but I am afraid that I don't know if the zero-hours contract is the cause of that. Start by asking the TP people whether you were entitled to be enrolled still in this, before challenging the payroll company. It may be that it counts as supply, and supply through an agency is not pensionable, I believe.


    As for the level of pay, I suggest that you look at your contract to see what it says. Again, if it's through an agency that you are employed, that link above says that they are not obliged to pay according to your UP. :(

    I am really sorry to hear this, and hope that, at the very least, your personal life is calmer and happier.

    Best wishes

  3. coppull

    coppull New commenter

    If you are in a Union. You should contact them at the Regional office for advice and support. It is now not possible to join and get advice and support on this matter..Unfortunately not checking pay slips by teacherrs is a frequent occurence,which often results in ,under or over payments of salary and mssing pension contributions.

Share This Page