1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salary cut?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by Landshark7, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Landshark7

Landshark7 New commenter

Has anyone had to take a salary cut for the remainder of the school year? How do you feel about it? Is there anything you can do or recommend? There's rumours that ours is about to cut 10% of salaries for all staff and I'm wondering if there's little choice but to grin and bear it and cross my fingers that I have a job at all come September, or ask a few questions back..

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

SLT have, but not sure how much.
    Some staff are furloughed, so effectively on a 20% pay cut.
    Most teachers back on 100% pay.

We argued, as a union, that a small pay cut for all teachers would be preferable and fairer than some teachers at work on full pay and some furloughed.

3. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Aren't you in an indy? All state school teachers I know are (so far) on full pay. If schools do not return for years, maybe that will change, but they still seem to be discussing a return in the near future.

4. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

We're teaching a full timetable remotely, so on 100% pay, but we have furloughed all boarding, cleaners and kitchen staff and are working with a skeleton staff, at the moment. I'm also in that 2nd wave of 'shielding' letters and can't go back until July due to severe seasonal asthma (and a recent chest infection in February), so am happy to do what I can from home (within reason!)

It's fun balancing my teaching from home with my 8-year old's remote learning (also an independent) at the same time and in the same room. However, kudos for his teacher trying to control somewhat well-behaved and very lively children remotely!

I fully expect not to get a pay increase in September even though all my targets have been met. I'd rather have a school to go back to.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Indeed, as is the OP and @sabrinakat . This is the independent board, so posts are to do with independent schools.
    We have a pay freeze (and a freeze on fees for parents) for the autumn term. But a school to go back to is better than a pay rise.

saluki, sabrinakat and sugaflowa like this.
  6. snowfairy

snowfairy New commenter

We've furloughed a majority of staff. The retained staff have taken a 20% pay cut and are doing the remote learning provision.... I'm just trying to look in the bright side that as a retained teacher my TPS is still paid and I'm further down the list of redundancies if they have to happen ..... Also no idea how long the furlough scheme will last so my pay is secure even if it is reduced......

Fees are reduced by 30% and no boarding fees so the schools income is hugely reduced.

I don't think anyone has much choice but to just get on with it at the moment. I don't think there are many people untouched by this either financially or otherwise.

There are schools folding due to this crisis so the fact that we're managing to stay open is what I'm concentrating on!

7. drvs

drvs Star commenter

I fear that the majority of schools who fought off their bursars in the first round of TPS withdrawals can kiss goodbye to it in the next 2 years.

Endeavour1 and jarndyce like this.
  8. Ro13

Ro13 Occasional commenter

The teachers that are on Furlough are having there salary made up. I'm Zoom teaching so on full pay at the moment but actually working more hours than I usually do. Our head, owner of school, has said she will review situation as we go. Our numbers, for September, have already dropped due to the current situation so the head may have to either cut wages or make some redundant :(

9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

And the government is clear (so far) that as state schools continue to receive their full funding from the government, state schools should not be furloughing anyone or cutting pay. Schools are still receiving their normal budgeted income to cover salaries in full. (The only exception is if there are jobs which are funded from commercial activities or a private source which has stopped, they can be furloughed).

10. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

Hm. I admire your solidarity.

In senior, doing online teaching, it seems that most subjects are carrying on as normal, with the extra headache of figuring out final grades for Y11 and Y13. The PE and Games staff, however, seem to be earning full salaries for posting the odd keep fit video every so often.

drvs and Endeavour1 like this.
  11. hilarywhite

hilarywhite New commenter