1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salary/benefits packages expected AUE.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by abdul664, Mar 23, 2018.

1. abdul664

abdul664 New commenter

Hi.

Just wanted to ask, as there seems to be a vast amount of mixed messages regarding the matter on the site. Do Middle East countries allow for large amounts of your monthly salary to be saved? Obviously I will will not be going out spending, unless it’s needed! My secondary goal for going aboard is to save as much as possible so wish to seek as much knowledge as I can before making a decision.

Furthermore what is the minimum salary you would expect to receive as a RQT teaching in the UAE/Dubui?

Also Is it wiser to take the housing allowance and find your own accommodation? Would this allow for additional savings?

2. swsimp160

swsimp160 Occasional commenter

I turned down one bedroom flat and £3390 a month not because of salary but because the head asked during telephone interview 'so you are Scottish. Do you have a drink problem'. Reckoned I could have saved £2000 a month from that.

yasf likes this.
  3. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

The cost of living is high and if you go out drinking it gets very expensive - I recently paid £34 for a drink in a club.

But if you live modestly and can develop a decent social life that doesn't involve partying/drinking then it's no problems saving £1000-£1500 a month and £2000 a month is possible but I don't have that level of self control.

4. Penny10p

Penny10p Occasional commenter

"so you are Scottish. Do you have a drink problem'. " Shocking! How do these people get to be Head teachers?

5. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

It's a fair question though

6. abdul664

abdul664 New commenter

Nice, just what I was hoping to hear @Mr_Frosty! Is securing a job in the Middle fairly straight forward?

7. abdul664

abdul664 New commenter

Is this as an RQT?

8. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

What's an RQT?

leenacharme4 likes this.
  9. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

There seems to be a lot of vacancies in some schools this year and there are always MoE/ADEK positions - I guess how easy or hard it is depends on what you teach and your experience. I've seen a lot of demand for secondary Maths and Science teachers this season not so many for English and other subjects though.

10. swsimp160

I really have no idea how representative £3390 plus flat is. I just turned down a second offer in Bahrain. It was a really good school and my first interview was with the head of Maths who was brilliant. My second interview was with the head who was awful. It was like having a verbal fencing match with some one. He was cold and unresponsive. Asked me what my last take home pay was so I added a little and said £2400. He said they would match it and give £850 housing allowance. This rents no more than a very average one bedroom in Bahrain. Now with my work and state pension I would actually be worse off. I would have turned it down anyway because of head but not moving to ME for less that is crazy. The recruitment company were selling it as a great offer which is nonsense. Seems OK to get Maths jobs but I have 22 years experience and IB trained. MOE jobs pay lots but, having done lots of research, would not touch them.. Recruitment company jobs, in my very limited experience, seem to pay very poorly.

leenacharme4 likes this.
  11. swsimp160

Cheeky

T0nyGT likes this.
  12. markedout

markedout Occasional commenter

Recently qualified teacher.

13. yasf

Is that a thing?

14. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

NQT is a thing

15. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

I could be wrong, but I thought RQT was just another (at the moment unofficial) layer added on to NQT so that training companies could make money offering courses for people who have just finished NQT year.

16. yasf

I know that. But RQT?

17. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

RQT means that you've just passed your NQT year. It was an official term for a short while but has no fallen out of use.

18. abdul664

abdul664 New commenter

I've applied for so many vacancies via TES. I am having no luck what so ever! I must be doing something wrong given your comments?.. Surely there should be killing for maths teacher right now. Oh and I'd really appreciate if someone could direct me to the best agency/site to get myself sorted. Much appreciated guys.

19. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

You are months to late. Recruitment starts in September. What is left now is all the stuff they havent manged to fill. Start looking earlier and join Search Associates

20. abdul664

abdul664 New commenter

You sure?.. TES still seem to have loads of maths vacancies!