1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salary Bangkok KS2

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ciaraespana, Nov 7, 2019 at 4:49 PM.

1. ciaraespana

ciaraespana New commenter

Good afternoon all,

I've seen a couple of positions in Bangkok for KS2 teachers and wonder if any of you can give me an idea of the sort of salary you can expect to receive in Bangkok? Also housing allowance etc. I have nine years experience in the international environment and am just starting to look at some of the positions for next year.

Thanks in advance,

2. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

Hi there. For some schools, the top point you can enter at is 6 years, some it's 9-10. At that point the salary can be anywhere from 90-126 or so thousand baht (I've seen a couple salary scales from mid to top schools). Some have housing allowances that are built into that salary and some are separate and will add on another 25-35,000 baht to your paycheck (which you'll be taxed on). Some have flights every year for the whole family and some only for the teacher and some only end of contract. Some provide health coverage for the whole family and some cover just the teacher with a bit of help for the dependents.
    It's all over the place really. Each school is slightly different but it kinda works out even if you don't have dependents. I can send you a pm and talk about my school specifically.

3. fordseries123

fordseries123 New commenter

Excellent summary. I would just add it if you have children, then their fees should be free. Most Tier 1 schools will give you a free lunch each day and finally you should get a bonus at the end of the contract.

4. worlo24

worlo24 New commenter

Top tier schools will pay 110,000THB plus housing, medical, flights and a free child place at the school

5. motorhomer

motorhomer New commenter

110000THB gross right? What's that in net?

worlo24 likes this.
  6. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

At a reputable school you should take home between 140 and 150K a month. Thats about 140-150 odd for wages plus 25-30 for housing, if you have responsibility that will be extra,after tax that evens out at about 140ish. Tax here works on a sliding scale, the more you earn the more you pay. You should also get pretty good medical coverage flights and a yearly bonus, co pay is alright but the best hospitals here are quite expensive. Plus meals whilst at school. 15 years ago I was taking home 110K .....

7. Oli_K

Oli_K New commenter

All the top tier schools should pay more than that (unless that is net?). Although don't agree with Percy, you won't get 140k for 9 years exerpience, even the school near the old airport won't pay that (If you google it, you can find a pay scale for that school from 2015), the starting salary for 9 years in 121K gross.

I'd aim for between 100K and 130K gross, plus at least 25k housing and 100% school fees.

worlo24 likes this.
  8. worlo24

worlo24 New commenter

The school I taught at is a tp tier school in Bangkok and did not pay more than 110,000THB plus all the usual benefits but it was centrally located so that is probably how they got round it. I don't know of many who worked at that shcool without additional responsibility who made anywhere near 140-150K plus benefits. It must be the schools on the outskirts of the city who pay more..

9. Oli_K

Oli_K New commenter

Maybe it wasn't a top tier (Still not sure how this is judged) school, the only central school that I know of his on Soi 15 and I'm sure that would pay more than that for 9 years teaching. The others, one in Bangna one of the river, one near the old airport and the big American one all pay more than that gross.

10. worlo24

worlo24 New commenter

There is a least one of them on your list that don't pay that. The hole package is worth more than 140K easily but the one that I worked at from that list does not pay 140K. I am not saying you cannot get 140K but just speaking from my experience and from friends who still work at one of the 'top' schools.

11. worlo24

worlo24 New commenter

In the current climate 110,000THB is around £2800 after tax so that couples with flights, medical, excellent accommodation, relocation allowance and free child places in a fantastic package

12. Oli_K

Oli_K New commenter

I never mentioned 140k, I said all top schools pay more than 110k gross for someone with 9 years experience. I've worked at and have friends at all the top schools in Thailand, all pay more than 110k for 9 years experience.

It's not a bad wage for a single person, but if you have dependents it might be tough, Bangkok is getting more and more expensive.

13. Oli_K

Oli_K New commenter

Even the school on Soi 53 pays 113k a month and even though it isn't a bad school, it certainly doesn't pay what the top schools in Thailand do.

14. fubarr

fubarr New commenter

This is a very interesting thread. I work in Bangkok, at a school that very seldom, if ever, gets a mention on here. It doesn't have a big brother on a hill, doesn't profess to be "The British School" certainly isn't related to a school in Shropshire, has nothing to do with an agricultural school in the midlands and it certainly isn't one of the "new " British schools which are actually bilingual money making machines......and yet, I find myself earning about 150K a month......quickly, someone tell me how I am supposed to work out what a tier 1 school is?

15. worlo24

worlo24 New commenter

Defintely agree that Bangkok is getting more and more expensive. A bottle of Leo increased in the two years I was there.