1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salary advertised - Can schools change their minds?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by shadowkitten, Mar 3, 2019.

1. shadowkitten

shadowkitten New commenter

Hi, my friend has recently been offered a leadership role, which she has accepted. The job advertisement listed the pay scales as L8-11, however my friend's job offer letter says she will only be getting paid L2.

Now she is happy with this, she only asked for L1 as it is her first leadership position so there are no issues here, the reason that I bring this up is that I am also currently applying for leadership positions and I have recently applied for 2 positions that have listed the salary listed as L8-L11. I assumed that if I got one of the positions that I would be paid somewhere between L8-L11 but now that my friend is only getting L2 I'm wondering if a school will do this to me too.

If a school has listed a job as having the salary L8-L11, am I right in thinking that if they offer me the job then the lowest they can pay me is L8? If I am successful and this comes up I'd like to know where I stand.

2. SayItLikeItIs

SayItLikeItIs New commenter

If you fit all the criteria for the job description/person spec. then I can see no reason why they would suggest paying you anything less than L8.

Do you know if this was the case for your friend? If she was only asking for L1, maybe she didn't have as much experience as the school wanted. Is it possible they appointed her because of her enthusiasm and willingness to train on the job?

agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.
  3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

No pay portability means that and the school is not bound to the range advertised. I presume you wouldn't kick up a fuss if you were offered L14 as they were impressed by what an outstanding candidate you were.

But if you're good enough to get the offer then you're good enough to make sure you get the 'correct' rate and that is down to haggling at the right times.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

A school is not bound by what it said in its job ad. Legally that's just an indication of the pay they are likely to offer the successful candidate, depending on the candidate's previous experience.

But when they make a formal written offer to you at a specific pay point and you accept it they are then bound and cannot change their mind later.

Most people would though would think it pretty sharp practice to advertise at a range much higher than they are actually willing to pay you - known in the trade as 'bait and switch'. Unless you didn't meet their person spec but they decide to make you an offer anyway, that could justify a lower offer.

JohnJCazorla likes this.