1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salaries-ISR-Western Europe

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by spanboy, Apr 25, 2019.

1. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

I know that not everyone's priority is money - I get that - and some are NQTs just starting out etc etc, but it continues to amaze me when I read ISR reviews how little some schools are paying teachers, particularly in W.Europe, where as well as being paid a pittance, there is no accommodation included to boot. How do these people live?? I'm seeing 13 -15k usd take home in some schools...really?? After accommodation, food, utilities etc what is left to 'survive' on? Is this really how little people think of their own professional standing?

2. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Generally these schools are made up of:

- people who are burning in to their savings for a year before leaving as they were lied to about costs of living
    - locals or returning dual nationals with more than one income stream
    - international teachers who live very frugally

Usually it's the second one. They hire locals with husbands or wives who are also working as they can't get decent international staff

3. blue451

blue451 Occasional commenter

I don't know how it happens, but I've seen reviews of schools I've taught in where the salaries quoted are way lower than I've been paid, so don't take it too literally. See what the school offers but make sure the offer is watertight, of course.

4. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

You also need to consider the exchange rates - many of the reviews are a few years old so the conversion to dollars may be different not.

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

The ISR is by no means infallible. Yes, Mr_Frosty makes a valid point, as often the reviews have passed by their "sell-by date".

Yes, of course international teachers at many European schools are not very well paid and struggle to make any savings at the end of each month. As regular readers of the pachyderm's online ramblings will know well, at the moment I am teaching at a school in Bulgaria. I am getting paid about two-thirds of what I was getting in China. Ho hum. Mrs Hippopotamus likes living in Sofia and she does not have the pollution-related health problems that she had when we were in Shenzhen.

Bentley89 likes this.
  6. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

Granted, but I'm talking about 2018-19 salaries posted.

7. motorhomer

motorhomer New commenter

But where are you saving more? I’m in Eastern Europe & know that I could earn more in China but I reckon living costs are higher. How do your savings compare?

8. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

I know I earn a great deal more than people like dumbells say is normal for Spain -- not the 10,000 euros a month he describes, but a considerable amount more than the less-than-2000-a-month he says most of us get...

tb9605 likes this.
  9. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

its not me that says it....its the endless fools that march out there every year to be massively disappointed. please point to a post in the last few years on this forum where anyone moving to Spain was earning in excess of €28 000? i know i havent seen one. and when you consider everything i get included in my package @miketribe, which you would not in Spain, its closer to €20 000 ;)... and yet, the only thing thats different to where i live now, and where i lived in Spain is i cant watch bullfighting, or buy a MacDonalds (no loss there then). oh, and slightly more expensive flights.

10. miketribe

OK, here's a first for you then. I get considerably in excess of 28,000 euros a year.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  11. DocShew

DocShew New commenter

But with all due respect, Mike Tribe, this is certainly and sadly not the norm.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  12. miketribe

I know my school pays considerably above average, but there are a few others that also pay better than what dumbbells describes. You just have to find them!

13. Treesa

Treesa New commenter

I was offered a job in Madrid that paid considerably more than 28,000 euros a year, too. And not the same school as Miketribe.

14. dumbbells66

Again...please quote one...just one person on here in the last 2 or 3 years tbat have come on this forum and stated that their starting salary in Spain in around the €28 000 mark....please....show me one.

After tax even €28 000 a year in Spain takes home around €1700 to €1800 a month. So please @miketribe show me how im wrong?????

15. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

Friends of mine who worked in good schools in Madrid earned about the salary you mention.

What is the top end of the salary range in Spain, and which schools pay them?

16. SineField

SineField New commenter

For the love of God......change the record DB.....you go on and on about Spain, yes we get the message.... you don't like it! Your zealotry is getting embarrassing.....

24hours and Treesa like this.
  17. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

old threads are quickly lost, and new teachers pop up all the time. Many of them hear about lucrative opportunities overseas, quite fancy living in Spain, but don't do the necessary research until it's too late.

While you may be bored of @dumbbells66 comments, I'd say he's providing an invaluable service. To him I'd say, keep it up!

18. motorhomer

motorhomer New commenter

I too, like many others I’m sure, have found Dumbbells advice to be invaluable. Thanks Dumbbells & don’t let the haters get you down!

Bentley89 and dumbbells66 like this.
  19. dumbbells66

The day i personally meet someone that has worked in Spain and has had a positive experience is the day i will stop....i promise.

Its been over ten years, on 3 continents, talked to 100's of individuals that have all been through it, just like me......still not met anyone that didnt regret teaching there.

Bentley89 likes this.
  20. miketribe

I’ve invited you to visit my school where you would meet many! I was there today for a teachers’ workshop. It was attended by teachers from two schools in Madrid and two from Barcelona. After your recent claims we all earned less tha 28,000 a year, I asked around. NOT ONE of the four schools had starting salaries that low. Starting salaries ranged from 45,000 to 32,000 a year, not counting allowances...