1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salaries in Spain

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by viccazwilk, Mar 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

There are lots and lots of Spanish schools that pay less than that

dumbbells66 likes this.
  2. kpjf

kpjf Occasional commenter

Well, I guess if people didn't accept it schools couldn't get away with it.

spanboy likes this.
  3. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

I suppose there'll always be young 20-somethings - possibly NQTs - with not too many financial responsibilities who fancy a couple of years partying in Marbs, or wanting Madrid nightlife, and as long as they can just about survive to the end of the month are not overly bothered about a high salary...

4. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Down our way, there seem to be quite a few retirees who moved here, got bored and wanted something to do: so money isn't their main aim.

5. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

You have a pm.

6. ANGIE491

ANGIE491 New commenter

7. ANGIE491

ANGIE491 New commenter

I think I had an interview at the same school in Valencia this week, I was prepared to take it if offered but after reading this thread, not so sure anymore!

8. Zimrilim

Zimrilim New commenter

It all depends. The convenio is just a guarantee of minimum teaching wage. Myself and the other half of Zimrilim are very happy in Madrid but we got lucky. Both taking home 2,300 per month after tax but we are at the top end and in a very well established school that concentrates on keeping staff and is very family orientated. The 1000 euros each settling in allowance also helped. No private medical insurance is not a problem as the service here is equal to private hospitals in the Gulf and a damn sight better than China or South America. This will hopefully be our last gig as we want to finish where we started off in the 1990s. It also helps that Young Zimrilim loves it here. That is a true bonus.

9. I just applied to a school in Valencia (International School). What salary did they offer you? I knew Spain did not pay as well as other places, but I didn't expect it to be as bad as I have been reading.