1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salaries in Spain

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by viccazwilk, Mar 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. docHolliday

docHolliday New commenter

Loving Spain and learning to live cheaply!

penelopequero likes this.
  2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Sweet jesus, you have no idea what living cheaply is. Compared to the UK, just about, but huge amounts of the rest of the world where you would be paid like a professional teacher, not a professional burger flipper, plus having a fantastic benefits package.... Spain is by far one of the worse places on earth for international teachers when it comes to cost of living expenses and salary.

To be far @docHolliday that did genuinely make me laugh out loud

T0nyGT likes this.
  3. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I'm not sure whether you were trying to exaggerate but a McDonalds server gets £1200 a month net. This is £1400 Euros. You'll be lucky if you can find that monthly salary 12 times a year in Spain

4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Isnt that close to a teacher in Spain? From what i've read over the last ten years it seems close. Not people who have been in Spain for 30 years though, just people new to the slaughter house

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Some colleagues of mine were teaching in Spain, but they left and came to Bulgaria because the salaries were so low.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  6. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

That's what I said. 1400 euros a month is a lot for a teacher in Spain. There are lots and lots of 'international schools' paying less than that

7. DocShew

DocShew New commenter

No, it is not a lot of money for a teacher in Spain and sounds lower than the Convenio.

miketribe likes this.
  8. DocShew

DocShew New commenter

Bit of a shame that you have to do this though, isn't it? I mean, I presume you studied for 4 years to get a degree and PGCE, and have some years of experience behind you. I 'learnt to live cheaply' when I took a gap year between my degree and PGCE to go travelling when I was in my twenties. That was decades ago when I did not have the responsibility of children and a mortgage, nor the worry of retiring without enough money to live on.

In yesterday's TES, there were a lot of ads for schools Spain, with teachers needed asap. No wonder if they have to learn to live on a shoestring.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  9. DocShew

DocShew New commenter

Teachers in Spanish state schools earn significantly more than most teachers in private British / international schools.

10. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Yes. But so do teachers in British state schools. Lifestyle, benefits, savings, sanity and actually doing things that go beyond subsistence are all worth, at the very least, considering.

penelopequero and JL48 like this.
  11. dippit

dippit New commenter

That's what I said. 1400 euros a month is a lot for a teacher in Spain. There are lots and lots of 'international schools' paying less than that
    No, it is not a lot of money for a teacher in Spain and sounds lower than the Convenio.

Unfortunately, it's more or less according to the Convenio, which works out about 1,500 p/m.
    Of course, the Convenio is THE MINIMUM they can pay - and they are few and far between who deign to pay more than the Convenio.
    In my last school in Spain (still in Spain, by the way), they got around paying you what they should by not assigning you the correct number on your contract...and therefore your social security contributions (less pension for you in the long run!) - I was HoD, but never paid for it; I was KS4 coordinator, but not paid for it. These things should have worked out at about 2,000 p/a (gross) each, and that's being conservative!
    Current school (should say organisation) do pay according to the Convenio - and do so over 12 months - but boy, do they work you for it! It's like working in the UK for half the pay and double the hassle! They cherry-pick the parts that suit - we still have lesson observations and more paperwork than I've encountered, but pay lip-service to "wellbeing" (my only clue about my employers)!

I agree with kemevez that lifestyle, etc, is a major factor, but having been here for 15 years...definitely looking to move to another country. Spain ain't the only place with a good lifestyle - and many other countries are less corrupt.

macao likes this.
  12. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Hope you find somewhere nicer

13. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

14. new13sue

new13sue New commenter

Mind you, I know what you mean about the UK. The Bigg Market on a Sat'day neet...[/QUOTE]

Hey! Some of us love The Toon! ; )
    I was there last weekend. Beautiful new bars everywhere, friendly locals, clean air,(unlike London, my current hang-out) and historic architecture.
    Mind you, the inner London teaching experience offers good career development. Seems to me it's the only part of the UK where there's a few quid left in the budget! Plus, I'm liking the multi-cultural aspect of school life!

15. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

You should get a knighthood. If it were a choice between teaching in inner-city London and being on fire I certainly wouldn’t be complaining about the cold

16. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Hey! Some of us love The Toon! ; )
    I was there last weekend. Beautiful new bars everywhere, friendly locals, clean air,(unlike London, my current hang-out) and historic architecture.
    Mind you, the inner London teaching experience offers good career development. Seems to me it's the only part of the UK where there's a few quid left in the budget! Plus, I'm liking the multi-cultural aspect of school life![/QUOTE]

You can keep your new bars and your alcopops. The Bridge was my Friday neet watering place. Perfectly kept Theakstons and totally professional barmaids (not one under sixty) who pulled the pints the moment we appeared parched from Cathedral choir practice. And are you really suggesting that the toon ravaged by T Dan Smith has better architecture than London's? Howay man!

17. penelopequero

penelopequero New commenter

h
    Hello,

I am applying for a school in La Nucia, Alicante. I am really interested in the job as the school looks good. I have 7 years experience in teaching science in the UK. Could you please, give me any advice about the school and what salary should expect?

Thank you

18. JINTY67

JINTY67 New commenter

I have been working in Catalonia for over 2 years , International/ Catalan school . You will not get good salaries in Spain , unless in the big cities like Barcelona / Madrid, and accommodation prices will take a large chunk of your wages . Don’t expect anymore that 30\32000 euros, usual rate is 26000 plus .I negotiated my salary before I came as I have 15 years experience and was taking a leadership post . I have enjoyed it , lifestyle great , cycling , swimming etc and cheap to eat out .Not running a car, I use bike or school transport .Like anywhere it has is negatives and positives , you can DM if you want .

Good luck !

penelopequero likes this.
  19. kpjf

kpjf Occasional commenter

About 3 1/2 years ago I was offered 1,600 euros x 14 months a year (2 bonus months in July and December). This was just a local private school in a small town in the north of Spain and at the time I only had a couple of years' experience. I was very close to accepting. Not common then?

20. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

I am sending you a pm.