1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salaries in Spain

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by viccazwilk, Mar 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. gafleecey

gafleecey New commenter

I can definitely add my voice to Dumbells.
    My experience in Spain (working at what is considered to be one of 'the best' schools) was truly dreadful.
    There are so many places in the world where you can have a good work life balance and earn a good salary, but Spain isn't one of them.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  2. danielorchard

danielorchard New commenter

QUOTE "You won't have a great deal left over from your salary after paying all expenses living anywhere in Western Europe, but a single person can manage well enough." HI! I hear that there are schools in Italy and Spain that pay as much as in the Uk. A teacher in my school used to work in Madrid in a British school and told me that he was better off than in London. I heard similar things from teachers (I met 2) who worked in British schools in Milan: pay similar to London but cost of living lower. I spoke to teh Heads of two schools in Italy (in smaller towns) were a two bed flat is around 800 (unless you want to live in teh very centre) and the pay seems reasonable for the cost of living. In London with £40000 you are worse off than in, let's say, Bologna with 30000 euros.

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

But you arent considering what the rest of us get. A VERY VERY VERY good salary in Spain is similar to the average international salary on the circuit. The difference being in Spain you wont get any benefits. The rest of us in decent countries will get accommodation, flights, medical, sometimes utilities included, plus more in some cases. For me, and admittedly where i am is not for everyone, a teacher in Spain on an average salary (not taking into account the benefits package i get) would have to work 6 years to come close to earning what in 1 year. Spain in particular is the worse paying country in the world when it comes international schools.

An average international school teachers salary (without benefits) is more than the take home pay of M6 in the UK. it is possible as an ordinary classroom teacher to earn considerably more than a headteacher in inner city London....plus have a considerable benefits package on top of that pay.

4. danielorchard

danielorchard New commenter

Hi! After 6 years of teaching I earn £2000 in London. I think that 1500 in Valencia is better than £2000 in London. I don't see how anyone would feel poorer in Italy of Spain with a salary a bit lower than the one you get in London. In London teachers are poorer. 70% of your pay goes towards your rent (Unless you share a flat, in which case half of your pay will be for the rent).

5. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

Dumbbells makes some good points, but, as he often does, he spoils his argument by exaggerating. I fully understand that he had a bad time here. I also agree that some of the schools here exploit their teachers shamefully. But, what I said about my salary is true, and I understand that there are other schools here that also pay well. My salary does not include a housing allowance, but all “new” teachers get one for the first five years. In addition, my school pays into a private pension for me, has a matched-savings scheme, and pays private health insurance for us (although the national health service is so good, the private scheme is hardly necessary). We don’t get annual flights home, but they hardly break the bank! We are also entitled by law to unlimited free places for kids. There are no limits on union membership, and each company is supposed to have an elected works council to protect employees’ interests.
    I know that MANY schools here play fast and lose with employees’ rights, and I know that I am lucky to enjoy the benefits I do, but schools like mine DO exist here. You just have to find one!

6. dumbbells66

Im just wondering which bit a exaggerated about ?

7. miketribe

Maybe the bit about no schools in Spain offering “extras”?

8. dumbbells66

It is very rare

9. miketribe

True, but not unheard of...

10. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Interesting. Any chance of PMing me the names ?

11. dumbbells66

I wouldnt get over existed @JL48, unlike the most of the world Spain quotes Gross salaries, if they quoted Nett salaries no one would turn up. €40 000 gross in Spain netts just under €29 000 ....and thats in Madrid, which is not a cheap place to live.

12. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

In my experience 'most of the world' quotes gross salaries (when it quotes them at all) which is why it is essential not only to calculate the nett but also the cost of living. Without this, statements such as 'the Netherlands pays much better than Spain' are meaningless.

Mrs M and I frequently visit Breda where our son and his family live, and the cost of a weekly shop at Albert Heijn makes our eyes water. Not only is our local Mercadona much cheaper but the quality is greatly superior.

And, as noted by Mike Tribe, the national health system here in Spain is excellent and the cost to the individual is negligible. Contrast the Netherlands, where treatment and prescriptions carry a hefty cost.

For us, these 'lifestyle' issues are vastly more significant than the flamenco or the flamenquin. And anyone who wants to diss our 300 days of sunshine should try standing on the sea wall at Vlissingen in a North Sea gale (and that was only a month ago).

To some extent it's a matter of choice. Big bucks wouldn't compensate me for having to live in a gated compound because it's too dangerous to go outside and there'd be bvgger all to buy if you did.

Finally, with a no deal Brexit looming and Boris's passle of payasos in charge of the big top, there has to be a big question mark over any E.U. destination. As always, caveat emptor.

bobbingtoncrescent likes this.
  13. dumbbells66

Me either, thats why i dont live in a place like that

14. Mainwaring

That's because you have nerves of steel. If I lived where you live my Colt thirty-eight would be under my pillow rather than gathering dust in a cupboard.

JL48 likes this.
  15. dumbbells66

You really have no idea what its like here. The house i lived in Spain had higher walls and a lot more barbedwire on top. In fact we dont have any of that on the walls here, its not needed.

Would i take a €70 000 take home cut in pay to work at mikes school in Madrid, just because you think its "dangerous" here....hell no. I have lived and worked in much worse places in the UK.

If anything its a little boring, but thats because im to old to party anymore.

16. Mainwaring

[QUOTE="dumbbells66, Take a €70 000 cut in pay to work at Mike's school in Madrid.[/QUOTE]

Try to get a grip on reality, Dumbers, old soul. I never even hinted, let alone suggested that. I can quite understand that you are secretly fantasising about leaving lovely Luanda and returning to Spain but you really shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Mind you, I know what you mean about the UK. The Bigg Market on a Sat'day neet...

lottee1000 and JL48 like this.
  17. dippit

dippit New commenter

Hi,
    Been in Spain for a few years - could you PM me with details of where you are? Paid OK for where we are but not too keen on the region.

18. miketribe

Done.

19. carmenrguez

carmenrguez New commenter

Hi mike, could you please send me the details of your school and other schools where teachers salaries are above convenio? Thanks a lot