1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salaries in Spain

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by viccazwilk, Mar 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

he currently has two active user accounts running on here. i am fully aware of who it is, but thanks

2. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

You're checking usernames? You amateur. :)

All you need to do is look for CAPS where there shouldn't be caps and complete lack of even the most basic coherent thought.

binza87 and lottee1000 like this.
  3. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Oh, and this guy is also Musikteech. Not sure if he meant to post with this one or whether he's getting confused himself.

4. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

Well, it's not 2009 anymore and no one would be able to live on 14k in Madrid in 2017. Unless of course you didn't eat, never went out and didn't fly back home. Rent would be around 10k alone in the city and 6k out of the city. If you earn 14k then you pay tax of 1k so left with 3k for groceries

T0nyGT likes this.
  5. plymyphil

plymyphil New commenter

Not true - schools have to provide an annual medical. They don't have to provide medical care and in fact the public health system is, from my experience, excellent in Spain. But, they do have to provide an annual medical so that shouldn't be featured in the list of benefits.

miketribe likes this.
  6. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

Yes, they have to provide a checkup and nothing more. Please read what I wrote correctly.

Whats the point of providing a check up if you cant then go see someone about it until you get residency and a SIP which can take a week or even 6 months.

7. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

truth seeker is correct. The employer is only legally obliged to provide annual checkups (and some don't even do that!). On the other hand, I know of several which provide temporary private cover for teachers until their residencia comes through. In any case, it would be very unusual indeed for ANYONE (let alone a bona fide European Union citizen) to be denied treatment through the very good national health system. Once you have your residencia, you don't really NEED private health insurance. My school pays for it, but I rarely use it...

8. SineField

SineField New commenter

On a mild tangent, I find some of the anti-Spain posts a tad bizarre...... I accept that there are going to be schools that will be more dodgy to work for than others, but how is this different than for any other country in the world?

ME and China have more than their fair share of horror stories too... but somehow Spain has become some kind of easy target?!