1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salaries in Spain

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by viccazwilk, Mar 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. blue451

blue451 New commenter

God forbid!

2. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

The free medical are a legal requirement under the health & safety regulations, but many, many of the smaller schools wriggle out of them...

3. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

Do owners pay the Seguridad Social? Do unions like CCOO know? It is not about health & safety, it's the law.
    Are you all saying that they make contracts that are not lawful?

I am very surprised. I had no idea about teachers' conditions in British International schools in Spain and I cannot believe this is common.

4. jomaimai

5. jomaimai

Ja, ja!
    No, you would not!

6. new13sue

new13sue New commenter

I can agree with truth_seeeker12 from my experience this week of turning down an interview on the basis of salary and wondering whether I can survive on the salary offered by another school. Interesting to hear that applications are decreasing.
    By contrast, I'm visiting a UK school next week which offers UPS and a TLR for the same job I'd be doing in Spain. Such a shame, as Spain is a beautiful country with a fascinating culture. Not to mention the weather...

truth_seeker12 likes this.
  7. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Established commenter

Salaries all over Southern Europe and Spain seem to have stagnated since the 2008 crash and even then they weren't that good. Meanwhile the cost of living has increased dramatically in some areas. I know of schools that simply cannot get decent staff and end up employing just about anyone. What qualified teacher is going to work for 1300 Euros a month? Consequently the international schools are becoming more and more local in their staff body as they rely on local teachers for who the state system is even worse.

If you're on 2k a month net with no money there benefits in southern Europe and Spain you're considered highly paid. That's how bad it is.

8. z1k

z1k New commenter

I live and work in Spain and I'm afraid the general consensus re: salaries and lack of benefits is all true. Yes, the weather is lovely (though it can get VERY cold and it doesn't start warming up until April) but from a financial perspective, I don't think it's worth it. For me, it was about gaining some international experience (note: no children) and learning Spanish, both of which I've accomplished. I'm also fairly convinced it helped me to get my new job in Bangkok. So not all bad.

9. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

Not True for Spain. Employers dont have to provide medical care. Its completely up to you to obtain your own SIP card for health care. Schools will push you on to the state care

10. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

Its a sad truth that many schools dont provide a 12 month salary. 10 month salary would be a norm for most and teachers are not always told. July and August can be a struggle to pay the rent so most staff go back to home country or work in summer schools for the 2 months. Therefore not having a break at all over summer.

Many want to leave but when you have set up your life there and cant find a job in another country then what do you do? Accept the conditions and hope for the best.

I know around 40 teachers for 4 schools who have not made savings over €4000 in 2 years and that is saying something. If both partners work then it is possible to live a decent life in Spain. Thats the only way unfortunately.

11. miketribe

I'm afraid you're wrong here. Employers are not, indeed, obliged to provide medical care -- the national health service is very good -- although a couple do. What they DO have to provide under health and safety regulations are annual medical check-ups. These are usually carried out by Mutuas de Accidentes de Trabajo y Enfermedades Profesionales de la Seguridad Social to which even the smallest Spanish company is supposed to be affiliated.

Those are the rules and I know of several schools where teachers receive free voluntary medical examinations yearly.

12. miketribe

This is true of most schools. Owners tell everyone that there's a crisis and that salaries are falling across the board, and it's true. The figures vary, but the consensus is that the real pay of workers has fallen by over 30% since the crash. What the owners DON'T mention is that these falls have only really impacted the lower and middle classes. The rich -- and you HAVE to be fairly rich to send your kids to private schools in Spain -- have done very well, and most schools have seen little, if any, fall in enrolment, at least in Madrid. Indeed, most of them seem to have bursting at the seams and to have long waiting lists, so there is really no justification for austerity with regard to teachers' pay and conditions. It's greed...

I'm lucky since my school is a not-for-profit and we've maintained average pay rises of 2.5% plus throughout the crisis, but most others haven't.

T0nyGT likes this.
  13. z1k

z1k New commenter

My school helped me get my SIP (state health card) sorted out and the provision has been excellent-on a par with the U.K. They have also carried out annual health checks as someone commented above-this is or should be standard practice. My opinion on Spain is that unless you are on a decent salary and/or have a working spouse, or have a concrete reason to be here (e.g. family), then you will find it tough to save or service debts aboard. If you are fairly foot-loose and fancy free, then it's a great experience. Definitely don't come here expecting to be paid a lot or save as that just isn't going to happen.

14. primaryteacher01

primaryteacher01 New commenter

Thank you everyone for the useful comments so far.

I don't seem to be able to directly message individuals via this forum but am very keen to speak to someone currently teaching or with previous teaching experience at British / International schools in Madrid who would be willing to share some advice on salaries, contracts, and which schools are worth applying to. Please send me a direct message if you can! Thanks!

15. recorder2407

recorder2407 New commenter

You've obviously never lived and worked in Hungary.

16. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

No but know many people that have. Been there loads of times on PD, school sports events and holidays...great country.

17. justengaged

justengaged New commenter

Can you PM me?

18. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

Spot on @miketribe - I've never had any pay increase in last 10+ years (for-profit school) yet I don't see many parents' Porsches being part-ex'd for ford fiestas! This coupled with a continuously-growing NOR...what does that tell you about greed?!

truth_seeker12 likes this.
  19. lashy

lashy New commenter

Hi Mike,
    I am heading to Madrid to teach in a private school in September. I can't say which school, but really looking forward to it.
    I'm currently looking for accommodation in and around the centre of the city, maybe Chamartin. Do you have any contacts who might be able to help or have anything on offer?
    My mum taught in Tres Cantos for a couple of years recently and loved living in Madrid. The wage I've been offered is €35000, which is great for me as I have a mortgage to keep up in UK.
    Do you have any general advice for a newbie?
    Thanks.

20. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

Just using some basic calculations with numbeo.com plus a Spanish tax calculator, i hope your mortgage in the UK is quite small, because you wont be left with much on that salary.

Best of luck though