1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salaries in Spain

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by viccazwilk, Mar 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Oh i hear you. My exposure to Spanish kids and their dire education system nearly made me quit teaching. I would rather teach in the UK again o_O

2. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

I really must beg to differ. I completely believe that you had a bad experience, but I've taught at two school here in Madrid and have refereed soccer games against four or five other British/international schools here, besides having friends who've taught in other schools. I have never encountered the sort of behaviour you seem to have been exposed to. Certainly, I met much worse in my last comprehensive school in England...
    At my school "serious" discipline offences are things like plagiarism or cheating on a test. Once, about six or seven years ago, a girl was caught with a little packet of cannabis and was expelled. About 25 years ago, a 16-year-old student got pregnant. No fights, no swearing at teachers, no "low-level defiance". None. Ever. Not all my students are brilliant and hardworking, but they are all polite and interested in learning. Next time you're in Madrid, come visit and I'll show you around...

182487 likes this.
  3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Thank you for the lovely invite Mike. If you are ever in Warsaw give me a shout and we will have a beer

4. miketribe

I think the weather's better here!

182487 likes this.
  5. z1k

z1k New commenter

Going to echo what a lot of people here have already said: nice though Spain undoubtedly is, eventually I got fed up with the quite frankly sad wages that have enabled me to save the princely sum of about 8000 euros over 2 years. When you realize how much more you can earn outside of Europe in general it starts to become a no-brainer.
    I'm off to Bangkok in September and I'll be making more than double with housing and most expenses paid.

spanboy and T0nyGT like this.
  6. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

I would only recommend Spain to those new to international teaching and dont mind a low salary for a year or so. Iv been here for 5 years and its been difficult to save anything even though cost of living is fairly low. However, salaries in Sapin dont tend to increase (ever) and the cost of living is much higher than it was when I got here.

If you live in centre of Madrid then you would likely have to spend €700 a month to stay near the school if you want anything decent. The tax could change every few months depending on the way the School handles finance. The Spanish culture is to cut costs and avoid as much tax as possible and I see way too many Schools doing that. You may suffer the cost cutting in terms of salary. I know post School are able to pay €2800 pm easily but choose to get awat with around €1800 and nothing extra.

However, if you get in to a good School with a high salary then it would be worthwhile making the move. Unfortunately, there are not many.

z1k, T0nyGT and Teachallover like this.
  7. new13sue

new13sue New commenter

Do International schools in Spain pay extra for a co-ordinator/TLR post?
    Without published pay scales, there's little way of knowing...

8. miketribe

Most schools do pay a bit extra for extra responsibilities, but, as you say, the absence of pay scales makes it difficult to tell. It's further complicated by the fact that head of department roles in most Spanish schools are temporary and all department members "take their turn" as head of department... This is not true of many international schools, but the attitude does influence others. In my school, for example, the head of department and coordinator roles are re-advertised every year and there's no guarantee that the current holder will be re-appointed...

9. new13sue

new13sue New commenter

Goodness, that's surprising! Not great for continuity, but might be good for staff development.

10. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

There are pay scales, the last "convenio colectivo" was published in a BOE in 2014. I have checked a union but I am afraid that the salaries are very low. In fact, if you work in state schools or "concertadas", you get paid better. Primary teachers get 22.041 and secondary 23.125 Euros per year.

Attached Files:

11. miketribe

This is true, but very misleading. Very few international/foreign schools pay "on convenio". It's the legal minimum. In the best schools, the salary could be double the convenio depending on how long you've been there. But even though the tablas salariales from the conenio don't apply, many schools don't have anything to replace it. This allows bosses to offer more to teachers of physics, or to those whose faces fit...

12. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

I've heard of some schools where the HEADTEACHER earns only €100/month more than a mainscale teacher!!! - ok, it's not the norm, but just shows you what some schools get away with...with a little help from those who accept it willingly!

13. truth_seeker12

Iv seen Schools that only pay €100 extra a month for head of departments. Salary for secondary would be around €18000 up to €25000 (before tax) in really good Schools. Costs of living can be arounnd €16000. Also, some dont pay during July and August. So you would need to find another way to pay the rent.

I see wat too many teachers coming and leaving Spain. Youngsters around 25 tend to stay to have fun and party but even that is getting expensive.

14. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

These things are rife in schools with no set pay scale. I know of assistant heads who are getting paid less than regular teachers because they've not been there as long/aren't as favourable with the management.

15. miketribe

I suppose this isn't really hard. I've been at the school for 37 years and every year, except during the very worst years of the last economic crisis but two, we've had pay rises above the rate of inflation, plus a major readjustment of salaries some years ago. This means that my salary has crept up, bit by bit, and now the 2.5% pay rise is 2.5% of quite a lot... I can imagine that a brand-new, not very experienced, administrator might not be getting much more than I do...

16. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

What I find strange is that while I can apply for a highly paid job in a prestigious school in another part of the world and receive an acknowledgement within hours, providing info about the school, outlining the recruitment process and even offering an interview for the same week, I can apply to a school in spain which pays the legal minimum and not hear back for a month or more.

I think that, even if I didn't need the money, I wouldn't ever accept a post in a school which paid its teachers the the legal minimum. Paying the least you can get away with gives a very clear signal about the value you place on your staff and on the quality of education. More than just the money, it's this attitude of (some) school managers in spain which is the problem.

There are some good ones out there though and, if you can find one, Spain is a fantastic place to live and work.

17. miketribe

You're absolutely right. Even the best Spanish private schools pay above convenio. Those international-- usually "British" -- schools paying the minimum are, on the whole, exploiting their employees for the benefit of the owners. There are plenty of schools here who aren't like that and those are the ones to aim for...

18. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

Would you say that most owners are British? Just being curious!

19. truth_seeker12

Nope. Most, if not all are Spanish

20. truth_seeker12

Its The culture of British schools to pay the least possible. I spoke to someone who worked for 15 years in the samel school and has not had a salary increase. Cost of living is much higher than it was back then. Rent was €250 and now its €600 in the same area. Most of these Schools are only British as the owner made the choice for financial reasons. You will also find that most owners do not speak English themselves.

I used to see 30 applications for a post 5 years ago and now its around 2 or 3. Some even go for the interview but when they hear the salary then choose not to accept the job offer. Its a bad situation and owners do need to see the value of teachers. I do know that Schools are trying to retain staff by offering benefits such as gym memberships, medicals and 12 month salary.