1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salaries in Spain

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by viccazwilk, Mar 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Any school who tells you that their staff 'live fine' in a capital city on such a salary despite your research are just lying to you to get you on board. The reason their staff will live a good life in the capital is that I guarantee most of them will be half of a couple where the husband/wife earns the lion share of the salary. They don't get staff in such schools by being honest about the living conditions. I assume that's why there are always a plethora of jobs available in Spain - people are sold on the idea of a beach lifestyle and hearing that people are living great lives in the centre on the salary only to find out they can't afford the bus to the beach and have to leave after a year.

Even as a single person in Europe you won't be eating out much. With financial obligations back home you've no chance.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

3. viccazwilk

viccazwilk New commenter

I have checked that site thanks and many others. I've researched for hours hoping I could find a way round it but I think it's a no go sadly. I was really keen on the Valencia school and have been told some great things about it including how lovely living there is but I just don't think I can manage on what they're offering. I really appreciate everyone's advice.

amdadali12 likes this.
  4. dumbbells66

Good luck on your search. There are plenty of countries where you can earn amazing money, Spain is definitely not one of them. Also, you are a little late in the recruitment season. A lot of the decent positions would already be filled. International recruitment generally runs between september to february for teachers.

Best of luck

5. viccazwilk

viccazwilk New commenter

Thank you. I think I may end up leaving it for this year and start looking again in September when I will have more choice. I'll try to be proactive until then, gaining experiences to enhance my CV and hopefully I'll have some success. All your advice is much appreciated.

6. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

Hi, make sure that it is in your contract. If they dont write it up for you then they can choose to only pay in those months if you work in those months. Valencia has can be cheap or expensive depending on what you want out of it. Rent is around €600 including bills for 1-2 rooms near the city. Eating out and groceries are cheap but onky If you get used to the Spanish taste that is. UK products are expensive. Id say €1500 is a decent salary for Valencia but what you save wont be worth much in UK as you may only save £300 from that if you intend to fly back a couple of times a year. But if you live frugally then you can save a bit more.

The cost of living in Madrid is much higher so the salary would take you as far as Valencia would. My advice would be to go to Valencia if you want a good city and relaxed lifestyle. If you intend to save money then go out of Europe.

7. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

If you're working as a qualified teacher for $1500 a month (the OP didn't say Euros) then you're being exploited, plain and simple. These schools charge parents 20-30k a year and you're telling me that they can't pay their teachers more than a call centre salary??

If that was my only option I'd flip burgers

8. viccazwilk

viccazwilk New commenter

It is Euros not dollars I referred to in terms of salary.

9. viccazwilk

viccazwilk New commenter

This should say €1500 not $1500. My mistake. I must have caught the wrong key when originally posting. Maybe this makes a difference to what everyone has said as I only just realised now when you guys mentioned it. Regardless all the research I've done and balancing the books has been on the Euro salary so my original problem remains the same. I have emailed both schools explaining the situation and asking if there is any room for negotiation on salary (I know there won't be) and if not reluctantly removing myself from the process. I think I will have to start looking again for next year's recruitment as I have to give notice to my current job by 24 April which is approaching fast.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  10. dumbbells66

If you have to suppliment your income as a professional with a second job just to get by, then im sorry, but you have a truly terrible job, and as Tony said, you are being exploited.

sabrinakat and T0nyGT like this.
  11. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Well it's a difference of 120 Euros - still the same problem.

As I said, someone is making some very good money from this, but it certainly isn't the teachers working there. Stay put for a year and start your search first day back in September. You'll be surprised at how much more varied the openings are early in the year. At this time of year the most organised schools have already recruited for most of their positions (although there can be still unexpected occurrences) and all that is left are European jobs which won't pay enough to send money home.

12. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

This * 1000. If you went to University to study, spent years honing your craft and still have to work 2 jobs then you've gone very, very wrong somewhere along the way.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  13. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

If you're doing an ESL job and you are only working 13 hours a week then 1000 a week is fine. I'm not saying that you're being exploited. But someone with a 3 year degree and a PGCE working 50 hours a week teaching a full timetable to kids of parents paying 20k a year for 1500 Euros a month - they are! This isn't a charity school being set up in Kenya.

People are free to work for whatever they want, but I'd struggle to perform the mental gymnastics required to convince myself that 1500 was a fair wage in a private school in a first world country.

As for my own circumstances - well they are neither here nor there. I'm not sure why you think I've been in my current country ages and why you think "all I do is teach".

14. viccazwilk

viccazwilk New commenter

There has been a development and I'm not sure what to make of it. The Valencia school emailed me back saying the salary is non-negotiable which is what I expected however I've just had an email back from the school in Madrid saying they have spoken with the finance department and are prepared to offer me €31000 gross instead of the €27000 they initially mentioned. Thoughts please?

15. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

Message me with the name of the school.

16. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

You'll have to compare it to the cost of living. Find an apartment online that you would be happy to live in and go from there.

17. dumbbells66

31000 is terrible for a professional teacher. Fine if you are "teaching" English in a language school like musikteech. Thats €23000 net, plus then you have to pay for your own accommodation. Lets be kind here and say you manage to find an apartment for €400 a month, thats €4800 out of that terrible pay. Then you have to pay bills, €100 a month minimum. So thats €6000 out of that pay a year, leaving you with €17000 a year. Thats truly awful for a professional.

Dont listen to a word musikteech or what ever he's calling himself these days. You will always take home more than this outside of western europe. The big saving being your accommodation. You should easily achieve the equivelant of €31000 net and have your accommodation paid for.

18. dumbbells66

So your solution is to break the law and do a runner, nice idea. And by the way, you may want to research the large IB American school there in Taipei. It pays a hell of a lot more than the one you are quoting.

Great to have you back musikteech

19. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I'm not sure that's a sustainable method of money-making. Countries don't just write off large tax debts. You'd be burning some very large bridges should you ever, for any reason need to return to any EU country.

20. dumbbells66

Your complete lack of any real understanding of international schools does amuse me.

And by the way, even 10 years ago when i was in Spain, my tax was taken at source, so was my sisters when she worked there. So im not sure where your getting "you do your own taxes" from?