1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salaries in Spain

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by viccazwilk, Mar 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. viccazwilk

viccazwilk New commenter

Hi, I have never taught abroad before but it is something I have always wanted to do. I have been applying for jobs in various places and have decided if I go, I would like to try Europe first. I have two Skype interviews next week for schools in Spain but I am very concerned about the salaries they are offering. Both are offering a net salary of around $1,500 per month. Having done a ridiculous amount of research and spent a long time balancing my finances, I feel this is just too low. I have 4 years experience but I just don't think I could justify this salary. One school is in Madrid and the other in Valencia. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

I have never taught in Spain, but take a look at other forum threads about Spain on here... Many suggest that Spain is among the lowest-paying destinations in Europe, if not the world. Of course, money isn't everything, but one has to be able to pay the bills! (Also check whether that salary is for 12 months of the year, or if it's a 10-month contract).

Good luck!

3. viccazwilk

viccazwilk New commenter

It is definitely paid for July and August or so it says in the information they sent me. Thanks for the support and advice.

4. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

Where in Valencia? If you PM me I can give you info about specific schools. That is very low, even for Spain though!

5. karel

karel Occasional commenter

If you are interested in Europe then you should try places like Germany, the Netherlands or Belgium. They pay much better than Spain, France, Italy. You won't have a great deal left over from your salary after paying all expenses living anywhere in Western Europe, but a single person can manage well enough. In Europe the better benefits come from Eastern Europe, where accommodation, flights and medical are often paid.

6. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

I can not think of another country in comparison to the cost of living that pays as little as Spain. It is renouned around the world for terrible pay, also add in the complete lack of benefits that you get typically outside of western europe.

Listen to Karel, or get out of western europe and you will be amazed at what you could earn.

7. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

Think that may even be so low that it's illegal which is not a good sign. I think this is below the level of the legally binding collective bargaining agreement. Certainly, most schools in Madrid pay considerably more than that. It IS true that salaries in Spain are low, although I do think that dumbbells tends to over-exaggerate a little as a result of his own personal bad experiences here. It is true, though, that on a salary of 1500 a month (even if it's 14 times a year, which is the norm here) you would find it hard to live comfortably in Madrid.

8. dumbbells66

Oh its not just from my horrendous experience in Spain, honestly, name a country that pays worse, in comparison to the cost of living?

Italy would come close i am sure. And i can think of many countries where the salary is lower, india for example. But in india you will have all the extras thrown in like accommodation, flights etc.

Seriously Mike, try and name one country where its worse?

9. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

If you're concerned about that salary, then I would advice against a move to Spain. Even if another school offers more, it's never going to be 500 Euros more. Look elsewhere.

Teaching in Europe is great as a second earner in the family or if you can supplement your income heavily, or if you end up in a very rare high paying school but other than that you'll be living a very basic life.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  10. viccazwilk

viccazwilk New commenter

The Valencia one is €1512 net paid over 12 months which is €1871 gross. The Madrid one she quoted me between €23000 and €27000 per year. I feel they are both too low to have a comfortable lifestyle in a city even though there's just me as a single woman. I do have a 19 year old son here in the UK who I would still need to send some money back to each month as I do now and I just don't think having done extensive research re cost of living in both cities it's going to be enough especially if I want to travel in the holidays which I do. What would you suggest I do as the interviews are this week?

11. new13sue

new13sue New commenter

I'm reluctantly agreeing with the points made here about affordability of living in Spain on a teaching salary ( reluctantly because I love the country and don't think I can stand another cold, damp winter in the UK!)
    I recently turned down an interview for a Madrid school on the basis of salary. Just not manageable, especially in a capital city. I'm now looking at a school near Barcelona, but no doubt the situation is the same.
    Incidentally, at what point should school disclose the salary offer, if it isn't stated in the ad (which it usually isn't)?

12. dumbbells66

Have you considered south america? Similar culture and lifestyle, much better package because they will pay for your accommodation?

Generally any decent school will be upfront about salaries and benefits...sadly Spain is lacking a considerable amount of these types of schools;). They definitely should be very clear about them by the second interview. If a school is reluctant to tell you what they are offering, then i would suggest you avoid that school.

13. viccazwilk

viccazwilk New commenter

Sue, I had an informal telephone chat with the head of the school in Madrid a few weeks ago and she told me the salary then but she did say that most of the teachers live in central Madrid and manage fine on the salary. It is only now I've done my research in detail that I find that hard to believe. The other school emailed me he salary with some other information they sent about the interview.

14. dumbbells66

@viccazwilk run for the hills....that is a truly terrible salary.

Spain will always be a terrible play for pay because they dont pay for accommodation. This is such a big expence out of an already awful pay packet for a teacher. Western europe, and particularly the southern western european, or should i say Euro countries suffer from this. Italy, Greece, Portugal would come in very close to Spain on this.

Widen your horizons, you will be amazed at what you can get, and what is provider for free.

15. viccazwilk

viccazwilk New commenter

I have to say in my case they have been upfront. They've both told me salary information, I just don't like what I've heard. I wanted to go to Europe initially to test the waters of international teaching as I'm new to it so thought being a bit closer to home may be easier plus like I said I have a son here in the UK plus parents so wanted to be able to get home fairly easily in the holidays. I think I might end up waiting another year now as it's getting late in the season and I don't want to take something for the sake of it if it's not right. I've read so many bad reviews of international schools and seem so many negative things on here, it seems like a minefield and I don't want to end up worse off than I am now, either financially or personally.

16. lottee1000

Well certainly they manage fine. Rents and bills are cheap, as is eating out and transport. But if you want to save, send money to your son, or travel, you will struggle on that salary.

17. dumbbells66

Just get out of the Euro zone. You will still be in Europe, but those countries will at least give you some sort of accommodation allowence, if not pay for it in full.

18. viccazwilk

viccazwilk New commenter

@lottee1000 I've started a conversation with you about the school in Valencia. Thanks

19. lottee1000

I've replied. For general advice to other people reading this, I loved Spain and will be going back there, eventually. However, we left because the wages weren't sustainable for us,with student loans etc to pay back, and a mortgage to save up for. We are now in a former communist country, and I earn over twice what I earned in Spain. Coupled with a lower cost of living, super cheap travel and a bonus and pension scheme, it adds up to about 30,000 pounds more over a two year contract. If you want Europe and money, I would definitely recommend Romania, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Poland etc (disclaimer- friends tell me the cost of living in Poland is increasing rapidly).

20. dumbbells66

I travel to Poland a LOT. In fact im in Warszawa right now. I have been coming here to see my amazing Polish girlfriend for 5 years, and yes, things have got a little more expensive, but not a huge amount. It is still a cheap country to live when you compare it to other countries around this area. Add into that, that the pay at the international schools here are significantly higher than that truly terrible salary quoted for Spain, then its a much better option.

Just to add, i worked in Ukraine, and nearly 9 years ago i was earning very close to double the Spain quote....AND had my accommodation and bills, flights, medical etc paid for.

lottee1000 likes this.