1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salaries in Italy???

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by deleted298, May 11, 2008.

1. Hi Torricka
    If darkwater is right and you are heading for the patron saint school then you will be fine. I am at the school now and for the first 2 years tax free you will be able to survive and enjoy discovering Rome, go out etc. Yes our headmaster did tragically die recently from a sudden heart attack which we have been all shocked and saddened about.The staff are great and you are coming to one of the best schools in Rome. Transport from the staff flats is pretty easy to both the city school and the one just outside. Good luck!

2. I was wondering of anyone could give an up to date picture of this British school. Salaries, housing and cost of living etc. Any info is appreciated.

3. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY New commenter

I'm looking one job in Italy too and would like to know about more recent experiences.

4. millsandboon

millsandboon New commenter

I left Milan in 2010. Salary was around £27000 pa and I was on MS5
    1 bed apartment was £900 a month
    bills were low- around £40 a month for electricity and gas
    no council tax
    fastweb internet and tv took ages to install but was about £45 a month
    food was dirt cheap, as was eating out if you kept it local
    public transport is excellent and very cheap- about a euro a ride
    streets are dirty- I factor this into the cost of living because it ruins shoes.
    I saved nothing and didn't travel outside of Europe the entire time I was there.
    Flights back to the UK are frequent and cheap if booked at the right time.
    I loved living in Milan. It had many faults- the school being the biggets- but the Italians are a very kind, generous bunch of people and the countryside is amazing. Goes without saying that architecture is fabulous. Not many schools with particularly great reputations though....

5. danielorchard

danielorchard New commenter

HI! ANYONE WHO WORKED in international schools in smaller towns such as Padua, Verona, Modena and Siena? I would like to know what the pay was after tax.
    This questions is for people who at some point taught in London or in a big European capital and then worked in Rome or Milan. Were you poorer in Italy? My idea is that you may save money in Italy since the rent is lower if you live away from the city centre, whilst in London, for example, there is no way to have a rather affordable rent even if you move to zone 6.
    Thank you!

6. danielorchard

danielorchard New commenter

Dear Millsandboon, I am thinking of moving to Italy with my wife and son. We are teachers and want to leave London to go back to Europe in September 2020. Do people in international or British schools in Milan work the 'nonsense' hours we work in the UK? My idea is to work from 8 am to 6 pm: I am tired of working all the time (often after dinner and on Sundays). I have been teaching for 6 years and I am expecting to be paid well in Milan. Would I be at least as poor as in London if I worked in Milan? I don't mind having a humble life, but I don't want to move to Milan to be poorer. In London we are paid around £2000 a month. Any areas outside Milan that are not too dangerous or ugly where you think it would be good to live? We have a 2-year-old baby and want to live in a quiet and safe area. Thank you for your help!

Kind regards,
    Daniel.

7. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Lets be honest here, you are never going to make any money in southern Europe. There are plenty of people in Spain that are polishing the turd of "its all about the lifestyle", just to justify their terrible salary and non-existant benefits package.

What you want to be asking is, "can i survive", as it is always going to be than working in a state school in the UK, just dont expect much left, if anything at the end of the month. If you want to earn more money then you are going to need to be more adventerous....the rewards can be amazing for only slightly being out of your comfort zone...and i mean really amazing.

8. 24hours

24hours New commenter

Milan is probably one of the most expensive cities in Italy.

If you are expecting to be paid well in the city you will be disappointed.

9. kpjf

kpjf Occasional commenter

I'm a bit surprised by this. I remember going to Rome and Naples on holiday this year. I like going into supermarkets just to see what's there, buy local stuff like biscuits, chocolate etc. Anyway I was surprised Italian supermarkets were pretty expensive. At first I thought oh it's because it's Rome but Naples was the same for food shopping when I went after.

I live in France (not Paris) and prices were definitely much higher in Italy. Of course for restaurants seems much cheaper in Italy (as it is expensive to eat out in France) but I thought if I worked in Italy I would need a higher salary than France; however I doubt salary would actually be higher. Maybe similar salary to France?? From the supermarkets I went into I could buy good Italian olive oil on promo where I live in France for basically the same or cheaper than in Italy! And parmesan cheese was basically same price.

Although I know nothing about rental prices in Italy, so maybe it balances out! I pay about 550 euros for a 27m2 studio in a town about a 30 min train ride from Paris.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  10. classfive

classfive New commenter

I am just leaving Italy after a year working near Venice. My advice would be - don't go to Italy especially the Veneto region. The tax is 43% unless you get a 2 year tax break from agreeing countries. Rents look cheap - 600 per month but you need at least 3200 euros up front before you even move in. 3 months in advance for deposit and then one month on top plus the agent fee, Bills are really expensive I paid another 300 per month in bills and we are very minimal, and we were living in a modern apartment. The paperwork is horrendous. I have lived all over the world and this is probably the most challenging country yet for living. Most staff are here in the long term because they have married Italians.

Regarding salaries, some schools are paying more to attract international staff but often older staff are on lower salaries, so you take home could range anything from 1200 euros per month to 2400 per month max. The local Italian teachers take home around 1600 per month.

Sorry to sound so negative, but this is the poorest I have been and I have worked in many countries. Most of my colleagues are delving into their savings just to survive.

11. bebbs57

bebbs57 New commenter

Is this by chance a school in Padua, if so can I send you a PM?