1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salaries in Italy???

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by deleted298, May 11, 2008.

1. probably not! K.R.A.P. is a popular acronym! seriously depends where?

2. Italy is a great place to live, if you're into the culture and "feel" of the place. However, you're unlikely to be able to save very much. Italian teachers get paid a pittance and so international schools have taken advantage of that fact and pay their teachers a relatively low salary.

Most teachers, especially teachers in primary years (who earn less) have extra jobs, take on private tuition etc to make ends meet.

Possible exception is Milan where they pay a bit more but Milan isn't really Italy.

3. Have you been offered a job in a school which has the name of a gentleman in it's title ? If so, I think it pays pretty well.

4. Look somewhere else and go on holiday! Italy is a fab country..I have been here for a good few years, but there is no money. You are generally paid by the hour you work, tax is high, 40%, and you are generally taken a loan of. There is little/no resourcing and no support. The average teacher is paid around 1,300 euros for a 35 hour week and there are no rules over meetings. I have been in meetings for 4 hours where nothing was decided and another date was set for the next night. I know I have had a pretty poor experience but unless you go to some of the better schools in Milan and Rome, forget it!

The other thing to bear in mind is that, generally, there is no relocation package, no help with accom. and accom. is expensive here. I find it hard to break even.

If you are happy simply to take in the sights, live on pasta and have people take advantage because you are not Italian, this is the place for you.

Do you speak Italian? If not, and you are serious, you will HAVE to learn.

Good luck!

5. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

I am moving to Italy this summer to work in an international school. Am dropping a staggering 18,000. Who cares? As long as i can survive, i will be happy!

6. Can I ask where you are going? South or north? I like your attitude!!

7. y9840125

I am going to the North. I am very excited and although know i am dropping lots, i refuse to be worried about it. I trust my school (although naively perhaps) to give me a salary that is liveable. x

8. In fair Verona where we lay our scene? Or further north? I have good reason for asking! Are you getting a package?

9. Motor City per chance? Or the City of Fashion? both North

I'm in the Motor City International School and could give you the gos!!!

10. I am delighted you are far from Shakespeare's city of love. I think you have chosen a better place! If motor city, then I have heard reasonable things. Fashion city is the best next to Rome. Would love to hear the gos tho! So you have arrived already? Feel free to send me a mail on giorgia285@hotmail.com and we can swap notes!!!!!!!!

11. y9840125

Being completely ignorant but i don't know which one is the motor city!!

12. Monza, I believe! Fashion, Milan etc. x

13. Sorry Pandola - I mean Turin - home of Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Lancia. Also most of the top automotive designers are here and the Italian Job was filmed here - that is the original with Michael Caine!
    And I've not got a lot of good things to say about the school here just in case anyone was thinking of applying for the jobs!

14. Ah, so it's not just here then! Seems there are only a handful of decent schools here. I hope to escape soon...what about you, teddy bear?

15. possibility of a moonlight flit but do need to escape. The only problem is that if I tell them now I will suffer huge penalties totaling in the region of 3500 Euro - on my pittance I can't afford it!

16. Ah...the b@@@@rs get you every which way here! How long are you tied into your contract?

17. just another year! where are you?

18. Pandola - you got mail!
    TB

19. Hello all, I am moving to Rome in August to teach at an international school there. My salary seems to be about the same as here although exchange rates and cost of living etc. I know will be a major factor. I am getting a relocation allowance that is ok too, and I will be living in a school owned flat for the first year. However, I do not really have any idea as to living costs and although it sounds almost too good to be true I know that there will be some draw backs? Any tips gratefully received!

I am really excited about living in such a fab place; it has been a life decision really...

20. Am assuming, with the school-owned apartment mentioned, that you're going to the school named after a British patron saint?

The school has improved dramatically over the last few years (it had become a bit of a joke) but, tragically, the new Head responsible died suddenly, a few weeks ago. Things naturally a little up in the air now. Very friendly staff. School can be a pain to get to from most areas of town so make sure you'll be living near the train line that runs past the school (or near the school itself) or you'll have fun and games in the morning on the over-crowded and rather slow Roman public transport, unless you fancy getting a vespa.....

Cost of living is high in Rome, certainly compared to the salary but you'll be tax-free for the first two years so it shouldn't prove too tough to survive and enjoy your life unless you have VERY expensive tastes:)

Good luck!