1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salaries... Can you find out?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by dearlouise, Mar 9, 2016.

1. dearlouise

dearlouise New commenter

I'm quite interested in teaching abroad... I have no ties in the UK apart from my cats - they could come with me I'm sure.

Teachers abroad seems to be respected! As professionals!

However it seems odd to apply for jobs without knowing the salary! Is there any way to find out potential salaries prior to making an application?

2. liberty

liberty New commenter

Interesting question - i'd like to know that too

3. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

'Abroad' is big place. There are schools where you will be treated with a combination of respect and affection that will bring tears to your eyes. There are others that may make you weep with rage and frustration. There are schools which, to their credit, put local and overseas teachers on the same salary scale. Others will ask you 'What are your salary expectations, Ms Louise?' because they want to recruit you on the best possible terms (for them, of course). This is a recipe for envy, discontent and division between overseas and local staff. Even when they have them, many schools are coy about publishing their rates of pay.ahead of the interview because a package that looks poor to a UK teacher may actually be OK in terms of local CoL and savings potential.

4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Search Associates publish salaries and saving potential on their job adverts. sign up, its free for Brits. you are also right at the end of recruitment season. International job recruitment runs (earlier and earlier every year) form around October to March. there will still be jobs out there, but the "good stuff" has more than likely gone already. Every school i have worked at tries its best to get it all wrapped up by the Christmas holidays. In my humble opinion, if a school is reluctant to publish its salary scale, then its probably a school you want to avoid. if you start a conversation with me i am willing to tell you what i have earned. now on my 4th country.

5. compostela2004

compostela2004 New commenter

Yes I have noticed that job adverts have now seemed to have dried up, will there not be a flurry after Easter?

6. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Not usually as most overseas hires have to resign by Decemberish, hence the vacancies for the following September coming out after Christmas.
    You might get a handful of vacancies after Easter due to last minute/unforeseen vacancies or brand new positions. However, this isn't the same as in UK where things tend to happen n a termly basis.

compostela2004 likes this.
  7. liberty

liberty New commenter

i made a big mistake in holding out for one school. now realise the error! is it still worth joining up for Search Associates? Do jobs come up in the Autumn term for the same academic year? or is it really all over now until September 2017?

8. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

There might be some but on the whole job ads come out January - March and then that's it.

9. abuameer90

abuameer90 New commenter

Re: Search Associates, it's useful to have a human available to discuss the inevitable 'newbie' international teaching issues. I'm now working in Oman - second job here - and last academic year I worked in Qatar at an international school. Previous to that, I taught in Slough. Just saying that sends shivers down my spine. Loved the students, some fantastic colleagues...but after a new head and a total horlicks of an OFSTED inspection I'd had enough. Get a proper professional life - forget the data crunching, the endless meetings, the inevitable government fiddling with an exhausted education system. Teach abroad and meet some amazing people, see some incredible places and hone your FAT skills (flexibility, adaptability and tolerance). You won't look back...

kitkatscotia and ea123 like this.
  10. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

I was living near Slough before I went international :) Anywhere is an improvement over Slough :p

11. abuameer90

abuameer90 New commenter

Well, I'm going home over Easter, but it usually only takes a day before I'm getting itchy feet again...and it's so cold and grey - a lot!

12. altonlou

altonlou New commenter

Just taking you up on the offer to talk about expected salaries as I have been offered a job in Tanzania but the net pm is very low - is this normal for there and Africa

13. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

It would very much depend on what else is paid for in the package. I doubt you will be paying any rent. Bills maybe included, is it tax free? what you dont want to do is compare it back to the UK. There you might have a higher net monthly salary there, but you will be paying everything out of that. For international jobs you want to look at the package as a whole, and what you can realistically save each month. I doubt you are saving much each month in the UK. I have saved a minimum of 1000GBP a month since i've been out of Europe.

As an example, i am in Africa, and live in a city that has topped the "most expensive cities to live as an expat" table many times. Yet my total living expenses here are less than 3500GBP a year. The school pretty much provides everything else. You need to know what else they provide and not concentrate on the monthly salary figures.