1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salaries at IES schools - Sweden

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by purplecardigan, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

I'm sorry but this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever - there are a lot of strange muths about working in Sweden on this thread
    - you would take a drop of 50%?
    - but you would earn more than a doctor?

Either you must be on an absolutely phenomenal salary right now or your girlsfriend does not really know what she is talking about
    The average salary for a doctor in Sweden is around 55,000 SEK/month (in the 2009 doctor salary survey Östergötaland county had the lowest average at 51,200 and Blekinge the highest at 61,300 http://blt.se/nyheter/blekinge/hogst-lakarloner-i-blekinge(1346893).gm )
    So unless IES is overing really really high salaries for classroom teachers or it is an HT position - higher than a doctor it is not - especially considering that most doctors get an additional 20-30% on top of salary for weekend and evening on-call working.

I have chatted with 2 teachers I know from University who teach in Swedish state schools with 1-3 years post qualification experience. They said that for state school high school teachers the salaries are around 23,000-26,000 however they thought that state school teachers might get slightly more in Stockholm or offering shortage subjects. The one I spoke to with the least experience earned most as she had a shortage subject (home economics).

However to put it into perspective - if you were to do a PhD - then you would be paid on average 20,000-24,000 SEK/month by the University

2. purpleapple

purpleapple New commenter

Hi. I would like to resurrect this thread. A previous poster asked about the staff turnover at IES schools. Does anyone know about this? Thanks