1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salaries at IES schools - Sweden

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by purplecardigan, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Hopefully someone out there will have some good advice on this topic. My husband and I have seen some interesting looking jobs at an IES school in Sweden. There's lots of information on the school web site but crucially nothing about salary. I know salaries are negotiated independently (I've never done that before!) but without any kind of ball park figure to go on it's hard to work out potential lifestyle. I know people have already posted on this topic but if you have any recent information on this it would be very gratefully received.

2. Hopefully someone out there will have some good advice on this topic. My husband and I have seen some interesting looking jobs at an IES school in Sweden. There's lots of information on the school web site but crucially nothing about salary. I know salaries are negotiated independently (I've never done that before!) but without any kind of ball park figure to go on it's hard to work out potential lifestyle. I know people have already posted on this topic but if you have any recent information on this it would be very gratefully received.

3. Hi, I looked into the cost of living in sweden, against the salary that was offered to me - and simply , sweden is an expensive place to live! I was going to move with my daughter - and in the end I've head out to the Middle East where the salary goes alot further. I know its a little vague - but if your looking to come up with a ball park figure, look into the cost of renting an apartment there..then work out what you would need to fund your potential lifestyle.

4. Hi

I worked for them in the past. The money was not good considering the high cost, and i mean high, of living in Sweden. It is way lower than what other international school offer. Also you can be a teacher of 12 years experience and find out that a teacher with one years experience earns more than you.

Think carefully about it.

truman

5. Truman, I need your help! Can you please tell me the + and - of IES? What are the students like? Has it been a positive experience for you? Many thanks :)

6. Thank you for your replies - very helpful.

7. Hi Purple Cardy,

I have seen these job adverts too. My brother lives in Stockholm (not a teacher) but he's wired into the expat scene. He said a dude he knows who works there said the salary is poor as well, as cost of living is pretty high, didn't have specifics as to actually how much. Hope this little helps

8. Hi.I live and teach in Sweden but admittedly not at one of the IES schools. Sure the cost of living is relatively high, but I would say no more so than in the UK or in other Western European countries-some with much higher taxes that Sweden.It depends what your chosen lifestyle demands. I live quiet comfortantly with my family and we enjoy what the country offers.Not rich by any means, but we are able to get by.
    Lycka till

9. purpleapple

purpleapple New commenter

hi there,
    I can't tell you about the salary at one of these schools but I can give you advice about salary and the cost of living in sweden in general. As a general rule of thumb, it is more expensive to live in sweden than the UK and you will receive a salary that is much less. Most expats kick up when they hear this as they believe it is not fair and therefore can't be true it. It is!
    I lived there a couple of years ago and worked as a researcher in a uni in gothenburg. I received 20,000 krona (about £1,700) after tax a month (salary is always talked about in money received a month). This is GOOD salary. The average swede receives about 12,000 krona (£1000) month after tax. God knows how they survive but they do. Tax is 33%. The cost of accommodation is more expensive in stockholm than the rest of the country, but is in general much less than the equivalent than the UK or london. In stockholm, you'll probably have to live in the suburbs and commute in. Transport is also cheaper than in the UK.
    Sweden is a beautiful place to live and if you manage to 'get in' with the swedes, they are fanastic people. And the quality of life is great. But life can be a financial struggle though. If you want to be rich (or even comfortable or head above water), this is not the place. I met my husband there and an important consideration for us moving back is money (sadly, but that is real life).
    I hope this helps with your decision.

10. HI

There were many - for me. Firstly the low salary and cost of living. The long cold winters and the Swedish way of life.
    I wont say which school I worked for, but I found the teaching dull and the Swedish students largely unresponsive, but much better that teaching back in the UK.

We were told not to teach any English other than grammar. The standard was far below the MYP/ IB diploma in my current International school. Some of the teachers I worked with are still there. Sweden is a good place to raise kids, It is very much a family based culture. However, given the low salary and the 40% tax rate and the hight cost of living it can be a tough place to live. I lasted 2 academic years before deciding to move on.

Also, no help was given with relocation costs. I had to fly to stockholm at my own expense to meet the owner of the organization. Also pay all related costs when i moved there.

If you want some tips regarding how to find an international school job please let me know.

What subject do you teach.

11. Hi Truman (and the others!) and thank you for your help, much appreciated!!
    I have read the school's website and it is true that the package (if we can call that a package!) they offer is not great...They could at least pay for the flight to get there.... I teach MFL and I have seen they are looking for teachers so I might send my application, I don't know yet. I want to get out of the Uk and work in a more 'international' school so it is reassuring to hear that teaching in Sweden is much better that teaching back in the UK. I am Ok with the country, way of life and cold winters, I'm just a bit worried about not surviving with what the IES offers.I am registered with the CIS to attend the job fair in London in January but I'm already looking and applying.
    About the tax rate, I thought they were paying 33% tax, what is that all about then, is there an extra 40% tax rate to pay?
    And could you tell what is the average class size? Less than 30?!
    I'm quite happy to read that they provide 'internal training' in what they call the 'IES Academy', do you know anything about that?
    THANK YOU !!

12. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

The average salary in Sweden for a classroom teacher is around 22,000-28,000 kronor per month before tax - if you are teaching at A-level (gymnasiet level) you are more likely to achieve the upper end - however there is no scale in Sweden it's individual salary negotiation - so the school will attempt to see how little they can get away with. How far this salary will go depends to a large extent on which location the post is at - obviously central Stockholm like all capital cities is very expensive - however the salary will go further if you are located in places like Gävle, Örebro or Jönköping
    Partly it will depend on whether they are prepared to pay you as qualified or not - technically to have your teaching credentials rattified in Sweden you will need a certificate of fluency in Swedish. IES is not a fully international school but a free school funded via the public vocuher system.
    The tax rate is approx 33% +/- around 1% depending on where you live - in Sweden there is no national income tax but instead each local authority has its own rate
    Compared to the rest of Sweden IES has fairly large classes with around 30 in each class - my kids attend Swedish state schools and my eldest has a class of 20 and the younger 16.
    You will have to have some training as you are required to deliver the Swedish national curriculum - the company has in the past recieved some criticisms fro Skolinspektionen (Swedish Ofsted) that some OTT were not teaching to the national curriculum goals and that few were recognised as qualified in Sweden - so I guess this is part of the remedial action the school were forced to take

13. Thank you very much for your message, your help is much appreciated [​IMG]

14. Tigger1962, I have read the (very informative!) messages you posted about teaching in Sweden, and I have the feeling that working in a private profit school/ company would not be the best start in my 'international' career...am I wrong? I am tempted to give it a go but I'm in such a good school at the mo it's a very hard decision to make, Thank you

15. Hi there, I'd also like to work in Sweden at some point with my wife and son. (childcare, outdoor activities etc) I've looked at the IES website, seems good to me. Have you heard of any of these schools closing etc? Is the teachers turnover high?

16. Hi
    I too have been thinking about applying for a position at the IES but the salary is my stumbling block. My girlfriend lives near the HQ in Taby and she went and did some research for me. She said that salaries are not the same as the Uk and she did say what earn now is considered a very, very good wage in Sweden, something maybe a doctor would earn over there. So im hestitant to maybe take a drop of upto 50% a month in order to teach abroad in a country that I have been to many a time, which I do enjoy and I know about the high cost of living as I spend every half-term, end of term and Summer hols there.
    I suppose its 'horses for courses' but I just feel that i may find it hard to change from my current, very comfortable lifestyle to somewhere I would have to count the pennies each month.

17. Hi, I understand I'm in the same situation, and I have a kid!
    Did your girlfriend say that what IES offers is good for Sweden though? (without comparing it to the Uk)
    Thanks

18. Sorry I've some troubles with my mailbox, did you receive anything? The message I've sent appear in 'deleted' and not 'sent'..weird...