1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salaried or Unsalaried School Direct 2016

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by kgh, Nov 4, 2015.

1. kgh

kgh New commenter

Hi there

My references are done so I am planning on applying tonight. Does anyone have opinions and/or experience in salaried v unsalaried? Will there be less pressure in the unsalaried. There are only 5 places available for salaried in my area. Would it be worth paying to do the unsalaried? This would pressure my family but may be the only other option to get to the teaching career I want.

Any advice gratefully received.

2. MikeTheKnight1

MikeTheKnight1 New commenter

Funding for Primary Salaried route (outside London) has been cut from £14,000 to £9000 for 2016-2017. Schools probably having to pickup the shortfall in funding the trainees £16,000 salary.

Can only mean less places available and certainly intense competition and scrutiny for any remaining places.

3. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

I have done the SD Salaried route last year in an inner London school. I don't think there is less pressure in the unsalaried one, I think it mostly depends on the school you are in.

I chose the salaried one because I could not afford the unsalaried one. My uni offers a 'PGCE top-up' programme for teachers who have done the SD salaried route. It's another year but a lot cheaper than what you would normally pay for a PGCE and I think until now the extra workload is manageable.

As said, no 2 schools are alike. Try to speak to somebody who is currently doing the SD route in the schools you are applying to (maybe they have an open evening? I know my school did.) to get a feel about the workload and pressure.

Good luck with the application process!

4. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

I doubt it matters, both should offer you the same experience but one you get paid to work (as it's for mature students who have bills etc to pay).

If it's available to you, I'd suggest you apply for it.

I'd love to be able to do a salaried course to help with my mortgage, instead there's none available for my subject and I'm having to take out a loan. le sigh.

5. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I have said it before @Quitoon and I honestly don't mean to sound negative, but if you are taking out a loan, do ensure you have done your homework on social science jobs. Particularly as you mention that you have a mortgage I assume that moving for a job isn't an option. You may get a job, of course, and all of this is immaterial. I just think from your previous post that I commented on that you are maybe you don't appreciate the difficulties you may get or the reality that even if you find a placement then you may not teach as much psychology as you think.... Health and social care, science or RE may make up the bulk of a timetable. Also, you are wrong to assume that it is only for mature applicants. A friend of mine from an ex school did a few years as a TA and a learning mentor before getting a salaried place. He was in his 20's!

With regards to the OP I wouldn't say there is less pressure being unsalaried, no. There is maybe more flexibility with regards to external training etc. There have been a few horror stories as well on here about salaried placements, you being used as cheap labour etc. You would be daft i think NOT to go for salaried. If you can afford to though, do not rule out unsalaried placement.

good luck to all!

6. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

That was the understanding I had of salaried as it wants 3y work experience, very few 21y/o fresh out of uni will have that under their belt too.
    Student loan - I'm not too bothered about taking out of one those.
    As for the subject itself, I'm still in debate over what to go for. Enjoyment of subject but limited job opportunities or some enjoyment for range of subjects and more job opportunities.

7. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I never said that it was aimed at 21 year olds. You are right in a way, the government did supposedly set it up for mature students to get on the ladder. In reality though these people did not have the skills (in the short term) to just pitch up and do a job from day one, therefore a lot of schools were not too keen on taking the risk. Hence the reason schools would rather (understandably really) use the budgets for salaried staff on those with experience in education.