1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Said I won't be able to attend the interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by caughtupinachaosofbooks, Apr 2, 2019.

1. caughtupinachaosofbooks

caughtupinachaosofbooks New commenter

Hi guys.

I am a trainee teacher.

So I applied for a teaching job and got a phone call inviting me to an interview. However, I panicked and said I will not be able to attend on the day ( didn't mention the reason, but why I said no was because I have got intervention at university). Regardless I was told an email has been sent to which I need to respond to whether I decide to attend or not.

I told my host teachers and they said that the interview is a priority, your university intervention can be rescheduled. Reply back to the school saying that you will be attending the interview.

I was at placement and since the internet does not work properly on the premises, I kept refreshing my email for a while until I didn't get home. But, I checked and I still had no email. I'm sure I was told the email had been sent. I feel awful now. I emailed them, and also rang them up and left a voice message as no one answered. I feel like an idiot!

Do you think they'll get back to me and accept? Or because I of this silly blunder they will turn me down?

My mind has been all over the place recently, I just don't feel right in general and now this has made me feel worse.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You do appear to have got yourself in a pickle and it seems you do suffer with anxiety anyway?

Well, it may be that your 'refusal' to attend may have be early enough so they didn't send the e-mail. In which case you'll be waiting forever. Or it could be it is delayed. I find sometimes e-mails do seem to have a time delay. In which case you have clear guidelines how to reply and I'd suggest you also add words similar to 'In view of a change in circumstances meaning you are available you'd be delighted to attend'.

In no e-mail arrives, remember next time that interviews take priority and make sure you get some 'intervention' as to interview technique and advice.

BYusuf, digoryvenn and agathamorse like this.