1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Safety worry - OCR Gateway controlled assessment

Discussion in 'Science' started by sci84, Feb 25, 2012.

1. sci84

sci84 New commenter

Anyone else concerned about pupils diluting 2M nitric acid? CLEAPSS advised me hydrochloric would be safer, but the response from my phone call to OCR was not very helpful which was basically - "it works at 0.5M and less" (it hadn't great when I tried it!). "Other schools have used 2M without a problem"!! and "So can I use hydrochloric?" "No, definitely not". Have any other schools done this one yet? (I have been deliberately vague to avoid giving anything away to pupils).

2. sci84

sci84 New commenter

Anyone else concerned about pupils diluting 2M nitric acid? CLEAPSS advised me hydrochloric would be safer, but the response from my phone call to OCR was not very helpful which was basically - "it works at 0.5M and less" (it hadn't great when I tried it!). "Other schools have used 2M without a problem"!! and "So can I use hydrochloric?" "No, definitely not". Have any other schools done this one yet? (I have been deliberately vague to avoid giving anything away to pupils).

3. Just completed this one too.
    I used up to 1m. How are your marks?

4. They are littered with mistakes - found the same in the scheme of work suggested practicals. It is written by people who never had to worry about CLEAPSS I think.

And the marks are poor - the structure of section 3 does not help - particularly qu 4 which they are apparently trying to change.