1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Safety when sawing

Discussion in 'Independent' started by jarndyce, Dec 28, 2011.

1. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

Wait for the slightest safety violation to occur then absolutely scream your head off.

It worked for me 10 years ago when I used the pillar drill once leaving the safety guard up (and without protective eyewear). My teacher screamed "STOOOOOOOP" as if I were in imminent danger of losing all my arms and legs, and proceeded to have such an enormous rant that we followed safety instructions to the letter from that point.

2. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

...but seriously, in terms of "dangerous activities in schools", "using a junior hacksaw" or whatever it's called surely ranks below most Chemistry practical experiments involving cutting things with scalpels, Bunsen burners, hydrochloric acid, etc...

3. Ask your risk assessor to risk it. Then work from the risk assessment.

4. How about only allowing certain pupils the privelidge of using the saw un-supervised - the ones you can trust to do it safely. As the term goes on, you add pupils names to the list when they have shown how responsible & safe they can be. Names can also be removed from the list for ANY safety breach (even if it is not to do with the saw).
    Clearly, a big, visible list has to be on the wall somewhere, with names on it, that only you can change!

5. Thank you, I think that's a great idea.
    This all may seem silly but it is first time I have used saws with children, up until now it had been other projects.
    I really appreciate your help.
    There is someone in charge of health and safety and I will go through the procedures with them.

6. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I'm not in an indy school, but last time we had H&S inspectors round, I had the woodwork out. We had 1 table for hammering with 2 chidlren using it and 1 table for sawing with 4 children using it. There was 1 adult supervising and teaching the children who joined the activity. We have a rule that all children wear goggles when woodworking and for sawing, they have a proper clamp thingy to attach the wood to the table. They are shown how to keep their fingers out of the way and off they go. I find sharp saws are much safer, because they cut more quickly and don't need the child to put so much weight onto the saw (which can break a hacksaw). This was reception class and H&S were quite happy.

7. This has to be a wind-up..., no?