1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Safety in KL for a family with kids

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by steluta, Oct 19, 2019.

1. steluta

steluta New commenter

Can people who live/d in KL with young kids (primary age) give some advice on safety as a family there? Looking at at AS school and ISKL, and would perhaps be interested in living near the schools. How does it compare with place like BKK, Manila, Saigon?
    Many thanks, much appreciated

2. MyOrchid

MyOrchid Occasional commenter

I lived in KL for a while when Orchid jnr was young. We always found the place to be very safe, and although as jnr was blond they did get some attention, none of it was threatening or worrying. I have heard that there has been a rise in petty crime such as bag snatching in some places over recent years. However, I have been back a few times and have had no problems. Getting around can be a bit challenging with little children on public transport but living in a condo with a pool and play area is very nice, if you can manage the heat.

Never been to the other places you mention so I can't comment, sorry.

Best wishes,

Orchid

3. amariB

amariB New commenter

I live in KL and it’s very safe for families. On a par with Bangkok, possibly safer, and definitely less chaotic than Saigon (less motorbikes!) Yes I have heard tales of bag snatching but never happened to me or anyone I know. Probably the biggest danger would be the driving here! But that’s the same in many places, not any worse in KL. Grab taxi app is easily available to get around with your kids so you wouldn’t even have to use public transport. I say go for it- got loads of colleagues here with families.

4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Lead commenter

The biggest danger is mosquito born disease

5. bobbingtoncrescent

bobbingtoncrescent New commenter

KL is very safe.

Dengue fever and potential haze issues are the main problem.

The driving is not great, but better than some places.

As for crime, I wouldn't worry at all.

6. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

Manila, KL, NY and London have their own petty crimes. Except in London acid attacks are the preferred weapon of choice. Whilst NY, should we say the US.... It's clear what their issues are when it comes to thinking about safety in schools or anywhere..

Your family will be fine.

Instead of a nanny, hire a full-time driver instead. Did that in Manila and saved a whole lot of hassle.

A friend did get mugged in KL. But she was the first one to admit wearing her blings and taking her designer bag everywhere wasn't the best of preventative measures. Needless to say she no longer plays the 'Keeping up with the Joneses' game.

7. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

I live in KL and have a 9mth old baby. I happily take him out and about without worrying about crime. The haze was awful recently and our school closed for a few days so it would be wise to buy a few air purifiers for your house but that's the worst of it really.

We live next to a jungle so we do get the odd cobra but our guards come to the rescue whenever we need them. I'm also very conscious of mosquitoes.

Obviously anywhere you go has risks but overall KL is fab.

8. motorhomer

motorhomer New commenter

Why a full time driver? Do they babysit too?

T0nyGT likes this.
  9. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

To drive.....

For example school runs, arrands when needed, drop off and pick ups to various sport training/clubs, drive to shops, other entertainment and appointments, airport pick ups and drop offs et al..

A driver is not a nanny. I hope this clears things up for you.

10. steluta

steluta New commenter

Many thanks everyone, much appreciated!

11. motorhomer

motorhomer New commenter

No need for the attitude, I was genuinely interested.

12. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Nanny or driver? Surely a nanny with a driving licence....

13. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

In my experience drivers come with cars, nannies don't.

It's quite possible neither has a drivers license.

14. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Then a nanny with or without a driving licence....

Helen-Back likes this.
  15. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Apart from muggings (knives common), bag snatchers (including smashing car windows to grab bags on bikes) and druggie cab drivers it's ok in the sense of kidnapping-child safety. Just don't walk around with a handbag.

You mentioned ISKL, top class school (and best paying) to work for. Really one of the few I would consider working for now especially with the Malaysian economy in trouble. I was in Malaysia over the weekend and the inflation and economic issues are evident so the currency might tank over next two years.