1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Safety bed rails - HELP

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by hmummy, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I need some urgent advice from experienced mums regarding the bed rails that stop your LOs from falling out of bed.
    We're about to move our 20 month old into her own bed, and living abroad, we thought we'd bought a single bed which turned out to be a 3/4 bed or a small double. The bed also has a ledge running all around it and part of the mattress is covered by the ledge.
    We bought one rail that has a fold down mechanism with an L shaped bit that's supposed to fit under the mattress. The problem is that the rail has the bits that flip it down where the mattress meets the ledge and so the mattress ends up being totally slanted. It would be perfect for a divan style bed but really doesn't work for hers.
    We definitely need a bed rail as she is getting so frustrated being in her cot as she ends up sleeping sideways and wakes up screaming because her legs get trapped in the bars, She ends up in our bed most nights but sleeping sideways which leaves little space for me and OH.
    Any suggestions welcome please!
    Thank you,
    H

2. Hi,
    I need some urgent advice from experienced mums regarding the bed rails that stop your LOs from falling out of bed.
    We're about to move our 20 month old into her own bed, and living abroad, we thought we'd bought a single bed which turned out to be a 3/4 bed or a small double. The bed also has a ledge running all around it and part of the mattress is covered by the ledge.
    We bought one rail that has a fold down mechanism with an L shaped bit that's supposed to fit under the mattress. The problem is that the rail has the bits that flip it down where the mattress meets the ledge and so the mattress ends up being totally slanted. It would be perfect for a divan style bed but really doesn't work for hers.
    We definitely need a bed rail as she is getting so frustrated being in her cot as she ends up sleeping sideways and wakes up screaming because her legs get trapped in the bars, She ends up in our bed most nights but sleeping sideways which leaves little space for me and OH.
    Any suggestions welcome please!
    Thank you,
    H

3. I have had the exact same problem. I have tried two bed rails. Tomy (Universal one) and Lineham one. Both don't work.

I wanted to get this from ikea http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30099293 but was out of stock when we went down. So we went cold turkey. Double duvet on the floor, first two nights I found her asleep on duvet on floor. Third night she learnt the boundaries of her bed.

I've also bought these http://www.bed-guards.co.uk/ I bought 2 x 50cm as they can be put together and for when we go away to put either side of her bed. Have yet to use them tho.

Hope you find a solution for you. Isobel is 22months and loves her bed. We also put a stair gate out side her door to keep her in

4. I use the foam one in the second link above. it works fine for our 3 year old. I got mine from amazon..

5. Hi,
    Tilly82 thank you so much for the messages - I love the idea of the second link and have emailed them to ask for delivery times. My LO is so desperate to go into her room properly as I've already moved her clothes etc there and she knows its her bed, albeit with no bedding yet! Hopefully I'll hear back from them soon.
    Thanks again and Lizzy - thanks for letting me know they are worth buying.
    A much happier mum, now!
    H

6. H, I ordered it late on Thursday and they arrived saturday morning 715am!!! First class recorded i think it was.

7. How are the foam guards going? Isobel is sleeping loads better now we're using them, than without..

8. Hi Tilly,
    I'm definitely sleeping better, not worrying about whether she's going to fall out of bed or not any more! [​IMG]
    They arrived a couple of days ago and she seems fine with them - she has been cuddled up to them a couple of times, when I've popped in to check on her and she hasn't tried climbing over them during the night, although she does clamber over them to get out of bed in the morning.
    Thank you so much agin for telling me about them.
    H x