1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Safer Recruitment - only one candidate

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by thehawk, Feb 21, 2016.

1. thehawk

thehawk Occasional commenter

We have advertised for a new head teacher, and there has only been one candidate. They are being interviewed this week and the rumour is that they will get the job, as the governors do not want to be in a position of having no head teacher in September.
    However, I thought that with safer recruitment, this could not happen and if there is only one candidate then the post had to be re-advertised. Can anyone point me to the relevant document and page? I scoured through the safer recruitment document on gov.uk and couldn't find anything.
    Any help appreciated.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hang on, I'll look through it myself. Can't remember anything off hand.

Doesn't seem logical.

You could have 2 unsuitable candidates (unsuitable for any reason), yet could still appoint. One outstandingly suitable one, and cannot?

I'll read it and see.

Best wishes

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

THIS is the one I've looked at. July 2015.

I have perused paragraphs 50 - 100. I can see nothing about this.

I also did searches on appointment and then on Headteacher. Again, I can see nothing.

Can you remember where you got this idea from in the first place?

Best wishes

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Safer Recruitment and how many candidates you need are entirely different and unrelated matters. There is no connection between them at all. I can't think of any reason why the number of candidates would be of any relevance to safeguarding.

If there's only one candidate governors can appoint the person. Whether that's wise is a different question.

Middlemarch likes this.
  5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Absolutely correct. Having more than one candidate is not and has never been a pre-requisite for 'safer recruitment' and it makes n sense to imagine it was or is.