1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Safeguarding

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Fidge, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Fidge

Fidge New commenter

Hi,

This is quite complicated but I am seeking advice about an incident which took place involving my 3 year old.
    He goes to the nursery attached to the school I teach at, and I found him unattended in class.
    I searched the room, cupboards toilets etc for a staff member but found none. For approximately 2-3 minutes. When a staff member returned (not the teacher) she told me she had asked the teacher if, as it was the end of the day, she could go to the toilet. She was allowed, and had been gone, in her words for '5 minutes or so'. The teacher then returned another 1-2 minutes later and acted as if nothing had happened.

It gets slightly complicated as the teacher and I do not see eye to eye. She also happens to be my direct line manager. I did not confront her at the time, as I felt that my teacher/parent sides would clash, and quite frankly I would lose my job.

My partner sent in a concern to the Head, but nothing seems to be being done about it.
    She has told SLT that she wasn't out of the room, and they believe her. I'm at a loss as to what to do, she has said that the after school club should have collected my son earlier, and that she was inside the class at all times. Which she wasn't.
    I have no idea how long he had been unattended and how often this occurs, I only popped into her classroom to gather some resources.
    As it is a breach of safeguarding policy, I'm unsure whether a LADO should conduct an investigation or whether it is something that can be dealt with 'in-house'

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I feel I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. 4 members of staff in the EY setting have verbal warnings against them, over confronting their line manager - my son's teacher.

HELP!

worried parent drowning in parental and teacher guilt x

2. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Can he go to a nursery class at a different school? If your partner pushes for an investigation there are two of you who witnessed the teacher was not present - you and the member of staff who went to the loo. Is she willing to say what she saw? And if you prove she was not there, is it a clearcut safeguarding issue? Could he have harmed himself while alone? Where was the nearest adult and could he have escaped onto a busy road or got himself into some other dangerous situation?

They should respond correctly to your partner's letter. If they don't he would have to go through the school complaints procedure and then on to OFSTED if he is not satisfied and wants to pursue it properly. So he would have to write back and say that you have told him the teacher was not present and that the other adult came back and said that she had been to the toilet 5 mins earlier so the child had been without an adult for a few minutes (from when the teacher left to when you appeared). So what the teacher says does not fit with what two people saw at the time of the incident.

But what you describe of what has taken place so far with this line manager is not confidence inspiring and it is very awkward that they are your line manager.

Do you think there really is a safeguarding issue and that this kind of thing might happen frequently? If so, you have some moral pressure about the safety of all the children to add to your guilt list.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Well, after-school club needs to get its act together. I don't know the timings but, trying to cover all eventualities, I would be concerned that they weren't there when they ought to be.

Doesn't excuse leaving a little boy alone but maybe they do need to be more punctual. This would be good for your little boy and good for you. If it meant that you had less to do with this woman.

If he went to a different nursery then they might not be so cavalier about supervision.