1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Safeguarding vulnerable adults

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Jan 27, 2016.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We have a situation at our choir. One member, in her 60s, has alzheimers and made a remark to me about an incident involving someone hitting her, the previous week during rehearsal. I made reassuring noises and she did stay at the rehearsal. It seemed unlikely that it happened as we were all present in our places at the time and the person who sits next to her said she was sure it had not happened. We've discussed it in the committee and decided to record any incidents and someone is going to speak to her husband to see if there is anything else we can do to help and support her continuing in the choir.. The person she said hit her has been told and is not upset by the allegation and says it did not happen.
    Do any of you think there is anything else we could / should do? I have never had safeguarding training although some other choir members have.

2. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

How lucky she is to belong to such a caring group. My father had Alzheimer's, and could be quite irrational and inconsequential, so it is very likely the incident was in her mind only. Speaking to her husband is a good idea, as long as it isn't perceived as a complaint by him and leads him into thinking that it would be better all round if his wife left the choir.
    From a safeguarding point of view, I think it is important not to neglect the safety of yourselves in the choir, as well as this lady. Just as you would never be alone with a (vulnerable) student, could you ensure that there is always at least two members of the choir with her?

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

My mother started telling me that my dad was hitting her. It seemed unlikely but I rushed over one night to find my Dad cowering on the stairs while she stood over him with a knife. I got the GP involved ASAP and she eventually got put on medication which held things at bay and peace reigned, for a couple of years at least. I would speak to her husband, he probably needs some help himself and might appreciate some tactful sympathy.

On the other hand, he might resent the interference which my Dad did at first. You can't win really.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

InkyP is quite right. If indeed the lady has 'been hit', because of the Alzheimers it may not have happened at the choir, but somewhere, even some-when else. It could even have been something she saw on televison- That was my mother's problem - she couldn't differentiate between real life and tv! To the lady, it may possibly be very real, so she needs reassurance or it may even be a pure product of her imagination. I know a lady suffering from Alzheimers who keep complaining about 'that man there' who comes into her room at night and gets into bed with her. Thing is the particular gentleman in question cannot walk! So entirely imagination, but something mentioned nearly every time her daughter visits.
    Reassurance that it will be reported may be all you can do at the moment, but do ensure people are aware in case there is some issue- could even be the woman's husband in sheer frustration on one occasion.

ScotSEN likes this.
  5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Thanks for your thoughts (as ever!). She is a kind and friendly woman with a lovely smile and lovely voice too.

ScotSEN likes this.