1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Safeguarding staff

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Anonymous1992, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Hello,

I've recently been made the Safeguarding Officer in our preschool setting and would appreciate some advice. There is an apprentice working with us who is regularly late to work with no apparent reason and frequently absent from work claiming to be ill. I'm not the Preschool manager however I was wondering if it comes under a safeguarding concern and something that I should be managing?

Kind regards,

J

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I don't know the answer to your question (sorry), but were you not given training for your new role? If not, demand some ASAP!

3. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

<18, yes. >/= 18, not necessarily.

I know this sounds cynical, but if the apprentice is male and young, phoning the parents and getting the PS4 disconnected is 66% likely to solve the issue.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Talk to the setting manager about this.

I wouldn't have thought it was a safeguarding issue in itself but it's certainly a management issue. But it's the Manager's job to deal with this not yours (unless you are also line managing the apprentice). Apprentices are no different to any other employee as far as turning up on time is concerned. It's not OK for the apprentice to be regularly late to work with no apparent reason and the Manager must take action. I imagine you have a Sickness Absence Policy, the manager should apply it.

Make sure that someone in the setting is keeping accurate records of the apprentice's late arrivals and leaving work sick. That's essential if at a later date the manager needs to take formal action.

5. Folkfan- thank you for your reply. I received Safeguarding Level 1 training at the end of June prior to be given the position of DSL. The previous manager deemed that to be adequate enough training. As we speak, I'm researching Safeguarding training and it appears that actually Level 3 training is more appropriate, which would explain why I feel a little bit 'out of my depth'.