1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Safeguarding Lead Information needed

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by MissOzenbrook, Mar 11, 2018.

1. MissOzenbrook

MissOzenbrook New commenter

Can anyone out there tell me if there are any guidelines as to how many teaching hours a Designated Safeguarding Lead should be teaching? Alternatively, if there are any DSLs out there, can you tell me how many lessons you are timetabled to teach. Thank you!

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

In my current and last school, DSL were SLT, so minimal timetables.

Check the school policy.

3. MissOzenbrook

MissOzenbrook New commenter

No specific information on school policy or no guidelines that I can find. Thank you for your response!

4. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

That's annoying!

Can you talk to your LM?

5. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Before I retired as a HT I was the DSL (primary school) and my deputy was Deputy DSL. If she needed to go to meetings then I would let her and I would take her class.

But we had no policy for this and we dealt with each situation on a who was free basis

gingerhobo48 and MissOzenbrook like this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

There won't be any guidelines as such, it depends on the size of your school, what other responsibilities you have, what your school demographic is like, etc, etc.

If you are finding it too much, then speak to the head and ask for some release time, even if just temporarily for a specific purpose.

In my experience, which is limited I admit, the workload comes in fits and starts to some extent. Having a whole heap of release time would be a waste for much of the year, yet sometimes the workload is overwhelming if you have no release time.

7. Bequia2000

Bequia2000 New commenter

Curious- what is your current commitment Miss Ozzenbrook? And is this your 'real' name?

border_walker likes this.