1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Safeguarding - independent tutors

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by AshgarMary, Jul 5, 2018.

1. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

I was just wondering if any of you working independently (ie not with an agency) have a written safeguarding policy?

I'm attempting to draft one and basically planning to use the NSPCC as my 'go-to' call point in the event that anything does happen.

2. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

There's more than enough of this safeguarding rubbish without private tutors jumping on the paranoia band wagon. Do you really have nothing better to do with your time?

3. AnotherDayTowardsRetirement

AnotherDayTowardsRetirement Occasional commenter

David. You may not have such a dismissive attitude if you are ever in a situation where you are alone in a 1-2-1 tutoring situation, in your own home, and someone raises a safeguarding concern about you !

4. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

And how exactly, would a policy help? If someone were to raise a concern, your policy wouldn't make a jot of difference.

5. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

I can't see how having a policy would help. There is less likely to be a problem if you tutor in the student's home with a parent or other family member present.

HelenREMfan likes this.
  6. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I don't do any of that palava
    If the parent wants to stay , they are welcome to stay while I teach.
    Not quite sure what you would include in it
    I don't have policies for anything.
    People say " I want to learn XYZ"
    I teach them XYZ
    They pay me
    It is that simple

7. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

Well that's certainly an interesting set of responses!

Working alone with a child and it's a load of nonsense? I'm thinking more in terms of the child telling me something rather than me being accused of anything. If you're working with a child and they start to trust you, who knows what they might come out with in the middle of a mechanics or wave motion tutorial!

I guess the idea of writing the policy - rather than just having one in my head is more for me to be very clear what I will do should the situation arise (ie a contingency plan really) - who would I report it to or discuss it with (because doing nothing is not a legal option) - rather than having to decide on spec. I wouldn't necessarily be showing it to tutees / parents / whoever unless they asked.

8. gainly

rehaank and AshgarMary like this.
  9. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

Thank you, Gainly. In my hours of googling for things like 'safeguarding for lone workers' I hadn't come across that document.

One tutor friend of mine had a child 'disclose' to her but she worked for an agency and so there was a policy and a person to report it to. Probably what spurred me on to consider what I would do.

10. rustyfeathers

rustyfeathers Occasional commenter

Know who your LADO is and how to contact them

AshgarMary likes this.
  11. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

Thanks rustyfeathers.
    So much terminology here!

12. gainly

What is a LADO?

13. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

Local authority disclosure officer?

14. NoSuchThingAsNormal

NoSuchThingAsNormal New commenter

Local Authority Designated Officer

Safeguarding training is worth going on, what to look for, who to tell etc.

15. Kateray1

Kateray1 New commenter

Suzy lamplugh website offers guidance on line working and yes I would put a safeguarding policy in place or at least refresh your training and updates.

We are working in strangers homes some of us and at least if something does go wrong you can say you bothered to have one.

Some very negative comments on here, shocking.

OneTeamLogic likes this.
  16. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

Treeickle - bumped up for you.

treeickle likes this.
  17. treeickle

treeickle New commenter

Thank you so much, completely missed this when I was searching back, @AshgarMary your approach seems very sensible and reassuring and I will follow suit

18. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

I can't find the flow charts on the NSPCC site just now but have contacted them to see if they can give me the link.

treeickle likes this.
  19. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

@treeickle - just sent you a private message.

treeickle likes this.
  20. tsarina

tsarina Occasional commenter

Apart from not being alone with a new tutee I've not really thought about safeguarding or how i would deal with a disclosure...have now googled and found the councils reporting number. The phrase on their website makes it very clear what to do.

If you're an adult concerned about a child or young person, call us any time on......