1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Safeguarding in Education course/certificate

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by margie2, Mar 21, 2016.

1. margie2

margie2 New commenter

I'm registered with one agency and they're asking me to take it, online (it'd cost me £12, they pay the rest). Has anyone taken this course before? (takes about 2 hours by the looks of it, with questions at the end). They're saying that not having this certificate may limit or stop me from getting some work/assignments etc., although I've worked in about 15 schools in the past year and no-one has ever mentioned this certificate to me. What are your thoughts on this?

2. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

One agency got me to do this. Then decided they couldn't employ me as I didn't have teaching references from within the last 2 years.

Have you done a safeguarding course recently? If not it might be a good idea. Mine cost£30. It was fairly standard.

3. rainbowsparkle

rainbowsparkle New commenter

One of my agency paid for me to do a course, which took about two hours. However, they won't send me a certificate of completion for my CPD records, or even a confirmation email, because they don't want me to use it with any of my other agencies! I understand this up to a point, because they paid for the whole thing, but I still think it is wasteful if I have to keep completing different ones for my other agencies!

4. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

That's pretty bad, rainbow sparkle.

I resented my £30 at the time but it means I can just print off my certificate.

5. margie2

margie2 New commenter

Thanks.

@ rainbow sparkle: that's mean but I'm not really surprised.

6. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

I'm going to my client school on a paid PD day to attend a statutory safeguarding course. I asked for this and I got it. I'm being paid to attend.
    Don't pay agencies for making you use a programme they should provide as a right.