1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Safeguarding ideas

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by alisonhill100, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Hi everyone
    Does anyone have any good ideas or a system that enables you to know which children are outside and which ones are in? My head has asked me to have a think. I've got a couple of ideas but not really sure they would work so thought I'd ask on here.
    Thanks in advance

2. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

I've been thinking about the same thing because my children do have access to the outdoor area and there ins't always an adult out there 100% of the time and this way I can monitor who is outside and just keep a general check.
    I was basically considering setting up some kind of board using velcro near to the door with a picture and word to identify that the board is for the outdoor area and then children's faces and names on a card to make it easier to find and then having to attach those to the velco, and they can obviously be pulled off when children come back in but it's getting into a habit of doing that as obviously children are in and out all the time and it would be time consuming to keep taking it on and off.
    Maybe if you have set numbers of children allowed outside could you use number cards with string that they put over their head?
    Or the only other way which isn't particularly fair is to send organised groups outside at one time and then call change overs during the day so each groups gets a chance to go outside.

3. I had also thought about a velcro photo system near the door that children move their image into before they go through the door but again am worried about the kids remembering to do this. I suppose if you train them from day one it should become second nature, it may just need a few weeks to embed until it becomes a reliable method.
    I like the numbered idea. Maybe a rain coat or anorak with a number on the back and having a strict number allowed to go out but am concerned this will stop the free flow and free choice element.
    Hmmmmm

4. sadika

sadika New commenter

re: there ins't always an adult out there 100% of the time

This would never happen at our setting - children can only go outside if there is at least one adult there, and usually we aim for 2 - which does put a strain on staffing especially if we are one down which happens quite alot ...

5. One school I work at allows only so many children outside at any one time and each child wears a team band ( the ones we used to wear playing netball, to differentiate he teams). If a child comes in they take them off and put them on a hook. I usually do a swap at half time (so to speak) to allow others a chance outside.