1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Safeguarding as a tutor

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by treeickle, Sep 5, 2018.

1. treeickle

treeickle New commenter

hi all,

When I was a full time teacher I was a bit of a disclosure magnet, one term there was at least one a week. Now I'm a full time tutor, and thinking about safeguarding in advance.

Obviously if a student makes me aware that they are in direct harm, then it's a police matter.

But if it isn't that, if they disclose an unexpected pregnancy, or medical concern, or self harm like hair pulling or emotional distress and panic attacks...

As a teacher, I had the support network of personal tutors and designated safeguarding bods, as a tutor, how do you handle this?

2. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

There's a thread about this (started by me) from a couple of months ago if you want to have a look (and be astonished by some of the responses!). I've just bumped it up for you. It should be near your post in the list.

I've written my own policy based about 99% on the NSPCC flow charts and found out the local authority contact details (LAPOs) for the counties I might be working with kids from.

https://www.nspcc.org.uk/preventing-abuse/signs-symptoms-effects/what-if-suspect-abuse/

I also did a free online refresher with one of the supply agencies.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    grumpydogwoman and treeickle like this.
  3. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

Tutoring is an unregulated profession. Presumably, therefore, tutors' obligations are merely those imposed on any other adult.

"Safeguarding" is something for schools, not for tutors, in my humble opinion.

4. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Exactly! I think it is regulated in some countries. Maybe it should be over here as it would get rid of the vast number of cowboys who shouldn't be allowed to con parents and students into using their dubious services.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  5. treeickle

treeickle New commenter

Legally there may not be an obligation to safeguard, morally... as someone who received a lot of student disclosure, I'd prefer to be prepared.

Thanks again to @AshgarMary for her excellent advice and support with this.

grumpydogwoman likes this.