1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Safe hiding places in Belgian schools

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Shedman, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Belgian schools are thinking about safe hiding places for staff and students in the event of terrorist attacks. What are your school's plans if there are gunmen on the premises? Has anybody in your school given it any thought?

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We have just written our alternative evacuation plan where we have to vacate the school premises (Our current drill has us line up on the school field). We are currently working on a 'lockdown' emergency response. Everyone stays in rooms and doors are locked and windows covered (where possible).

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Lots of schools I worked in had classrooms one couldn't lock - apparently ( I was once told by an LEA official) because 'otherwise burglars will break every door down when they get in, costing us more'.

The most secure schools I worked in where the independent ones which had high perimeter fences, and locked external doors, requiring either a thumb print or code to get through.

4. MissAnthrop

MissAnthrop New commenter

My son goes to a lovely international school in Jerusalem. After the recent resurgence of terrorism here they implemented a code red system where the whole class (year 1) seems to crowd into their book cupboard and stay very quiet. I was worried that even the drills would be traumatic to him but they all seem to just totally take it in their stride...

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Both the vacate the premises and the lockdown procedures are at the behest of the LEA.

6. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

Children are remarkably resilient. When I taught in a Jewish primary school in London, we had regular alerts (particularly after 7/7) which involved pupils diving under tables whilst teachers locked the classroom doors. I was more traumatised than my pupils!

7. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

our local feeder secondary had a school wide practice at hiding the children hid cupboards while the teachers sat at their desks pretending no one was in. Presumably the teachers have also been issued with large bulls eyes to hang around their necks. Similar to the badges some schools give to supply teachers along with the big badge labelled "Supply Teacher"

8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Seriously?

I've never come across a school with large enough cupboards to stash away more than one or two teenage boys, let alone a class of 30!

9. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

i did wonder about that. The school is a relatively new build and is notorious for having small classrooms with little or no storage. Lovely great main corridor with high airy ceilings, but tiny, stuffy classrooms with low ceilings. An architect's dream, but not designed to do its job.