1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Safe flying rockets.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kym131218, Aug 14, 2011.

1. kym131218

kym131218 New commenter

I am doing some theme planning for space. I wanted to get the children involved in a project where they make their own rockets, we could take them outside and get them to blast off. I have looked at the bicarbonate and vinegar idea, i don't think it is safe for school though.
    Has anyone got any other ideas?

2. kym131218

kym131218 New commenter

I am doing some theme planning for space. I wanted to get the children involved in a project where they make their own rockets, we could take them outside and get them to blast off. I have looked at the bicarbonate and vinegar idea, i don't think it is safe for school though.
    Has anyone got any other ideas?

3. Could you use a balloon or foot pump to launch them using air? Not sure how though.

4. man501

man501 New commenter

I do rockets every time I do forces and run science clubs.

I use a water rocket such as this one:
    http://www.rokit.com/
    It can reach quite a height and the kids love it.

5. This idea works brilliantly.

You need water and tesco own brand vit c tablets and the small canisters that camera film comes in.

Fill the bannister 3/4 with water add a vit c tablet quickly put on lid shake and place lid side down on the floor and watch. The canisters fly up in the air like rockets. This definitely needs to be done outside as they can fly up quite high and the lid on shaking and placing action needs to be dine quickly ensuring that the lid is tightly in place. Our children lived this.

6. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Ha ha, good post but you sound like that policeman off 'Allo Allo' !!

7. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

We had one of those, absolutely brilliant, until a teacher over-pumped it; it didn't just reach a good height, it reached a good distance, sadly one well outside the school and we never saw it again...

8. Hi - I've done the film canister rockets loads of times with the children - they love it. I've found bicarb and soda to be too fast - I usually use them to do the volcano experiment. A whole vitamin tablet is too fast as well and therefore a bit too dangerous. You can adapt the experiment from the following site...
    http://www.sciencebob.com/experiments/filmrocket.php
    If you add blutack to the list of things you need then the children can use a blob to attach the piece of vitamin tablet to the lid of the film canister, snap the lid on tight, turn over the canister in a tray, then watch and wait.Starting with a quarter tablet and just quarter fill the film pot with water will give a reasonable starting point to give the children a challenge to launch the rocket in exactly one minute. Ideally the children would all wear plastic goggles but I know we only had one pair! I demo the experiment first and outline safety, (make sure you don't launch them under the lights!) telling the children if anyone is silly then their investigation ends - no one has ever messed - it's really exciting for everyone. I usually get the children to work in groups of four and they take turns at the different roles - observing & recording, cleaning up after each attempt, sorting resources, timing etc They get loads of turns with the quarter tablets and get to do a fair test with a purpose, repeating their most successful formula etc. I then hold a final at the end and the children choose their best combination to see which group can get closest to the one minute launch.
    The little pots took me a while to collect but if you ring your local photo lab they do still get them and are usually happy to save them for a school.
    Have fun!