1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

safe behaviour in the lab

Discussion in 'Science' started by hadron, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Keep him out. You are right to insist on safe lab behaviour. Call his parents or get them in for a meeting. Explain what is happening & say that you are worried (if you are) that he may be missing out on key syllabus content but that with his current behaviour he can't be allowed lab time. You have a 'duty of care' to the other pupils in the class & their safety should not be jeopardised by one person's silly behaviour.
    Have a word with him before you do this & explain to him exactly the same things as you will tell the parent(s). He may decide to change his behaviour before the parents get called in - don't use it as a threat just say that they need to know what is happening and it is normal to keep parents informed of pupils progress - in this case no progress - in the subject.
    If & when he does return, keep him under your nose & give him simple tasks that are easy not to mess up. If he does 'mess up' then it is back to exclusion or observation of others or whatever you decide. The other pupils will appreciate your perseverence, you will engender a productive lab environment & you will get a good reputation for effective classroom management which will serve you well for years to come.
    Explain to the HOD / your mentor or whoever needs to know what you are doing & why. Get them on board so the parents can't start playing one of you off against the other.

2. I agree- keep him out! I'm currently a NQT and although I don't have behaviour issues in my school (independent girls school), I certainly did on my PGCE.
    There is enough for you to worry about without bad behaviour in practicals. Just think of what could go wrong if you keep misbehaving pupils in your practical lessons. There could be an awful accident and your confidence would be knocked for a very long time.
    Try those ideas that 'Hadron' suggested, they sound very wise. Your mentor and HOD should understand. My current HOD makes sure I'm confident to do any practicals and never puts on pressure to do something I'm not confident to do with a class.

Good luck!

3. Although I have to agree with excluding a pupil for poor behaviour, and certainly did it plenty of times myself, I do need to remind you of 2 things:
    1 - you are still responsible for a pupils safety when they are outside the room. That is a difficult position to be in, especially if there are 5 or 6 people away from your direct care.
    2 - as a PGCE student, ultimate responsibility lies with the teacher timetabled for that class. You should be discussing your problems with him/her and he/she should be helping to sort things out. He/she should be within close proximity of your lesson, not sitting at the opposite end of the school drinking coffee in the staffroom! I really cannot see how this person has not been doing something already.
    Please let us know how things progress - pupil behaviour is regularly quoted as the major problem in the early years of teaching.