1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Saddest news of one of our own

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by peapicker, Oct 26, 2018.

1. peapicker

peapicker Star commenter

Those of you who have been posting a very long time may remember the poster @slieber24. She was an American teacher who worked in the UK, in a school in Berkshire. She was a truly gifted and remarkable teacher, but had a bad experience with workplace bullying because of her activities as a union rep. She took action against her school and had it named and shamed in the House of Lords, under parliamentary privilege.

She was a generous, informed and wise supporter of teachers on Workplace Dilemmas, in the days when posters had the benefit of advice from very experienced and knowledgeable senior teachers such as @Middlemarch, @TheoGriff and @oldgreywolf. She was an incredible support to me, when I went through my own devastating workplace experience.

Since moving back to the States, she had a very successful teaching career. She has often been named Teacher of the Year in her schools, the last time was only back in September. She coached many students in chess, who are successful in tournaments both in her State and wider afield, sometimes against opponents from much bigger and better-resourced schools. She loved ballet and was still taking lessons, until she became ill. She was mad about her cats. And she loved coffee. Boy, did she love her coffee.

She had been feeling unwell for a while and last month had the devastating diagnosis that she had a very rare and aggressive Stage 4 cancer. With her family and medical team, she chose hospice care. She recently asked to be moved to a hospice closer to her family and this has happened a couple of weeks ago.

Her brother shared the following message, which I have edited, to protect their identity:

"[My sister] has moved to another hospice facility safely. I believe this was her way of making a decision on her own ie, “getting the last word in.”

I’m sorry to say she’s begun declining. We are requesting privacy during her last hours or day(s). We don’t know how long this stage will last, but she has begun detaching herself and preparing to leave this world.

We will be providing more information when appropriate. Thank you again for your prayers and support."

I am so sorry to pass on the news that slieber24 has now died. Her burial was a private affair, but there is to be a Memorial Service in her school this evening. Starbucks is donating the coffee.

I am so thankful that slieber24 touched my life. Tributes have been pouring into her family from all over the world. She clearly touched a lot of other lives too and left this world a better place for her contribution to it.

[​IMG]

Curae, gold19951 and blueskydreaming like this.
  2. ninanani

ninanani Occasional commenter

Indeed very sad!

Curae, gold19951, thekillers1 and 3 others like this.
  3. s10327

s10327 Occasional commenter

Thank you for sharing that. Very sad indeed.

Curae, gold19951, nomad and 2 others like this.
  4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Sorry to hear that. Teaching needs people like her.

Curae, gold19951, nomad and 2 others like this.
  5. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

Agree. A sad loss to the community! :(

Curae, gold19951, Lara mfl 05 and 2 others like this.
  6. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

I'm in total shock I didn't know. I agree with what you have written and am pleased to have been able to be of some small help to her as she was to me.

I am truly devastated I will not hear that witty voice again.

gold19951, Lara mfl 05 and Curae like this.
  7. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I wish I had known her. This is a very sad day.

8. sweetness_sweetness

sweetness_sweetness New commenter

I don’t know her but she sounds like a wonderful lady who touched many people. So sad to hear x

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I never met her and only vaguely remember the name, but the world and the teaching profession will be the poorer for her loss.

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I remember her posts and generous advice to others well.

A sad loss.

stonerose, pepper5, gold19951 and 2 others like this.
  11. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

12. Curae

Curae Star commenter

I did not have the pleasure but the loss of any life is significant. This woman sounds like a strong woman a woman of substence. She would have passed away knowing that she had made a difference . As a believer l will pray for her and her family. May God rest her soul in peace.
    Many thanks to you for informing us of this sad loss.
    My deepest sympathy
    Curae

stonerose, gold19951 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I did not know her but she sounds like a lovely person and a sad loss to education and the world. Sleep peacefully x

14. gold19951

gold19951 Occasional commenter

She sounds a wonderful lady and you’ve written a moving tribute to her. So sorry for her family and friends, students and everyone whose life she touched and made better. X

stonerose and Curae like this.
  15. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Star commenter

I did not know her but she sounds a lovely person. My sympathies to her family and friends.

Curae and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  16. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Agreed a lovely tribute, peapicker. It is a sad loss.

stonerose, Laphroig, Curae and 2 others like this.
  17. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Very sad, but a wonderful to have touched so many lives across the world.
    Thank you Peapicker.

stonerose and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  18. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

I remember her. What sad news.

stonerose, Lara mfl 05 and Curae like this.
  19. Cooperuk

Cooperuk Senior commenter

Terribly sad for her family, and for the wider teaching family. :(

stonerose, Curae and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  20. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

Thank you.