1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sad

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, Jan 9, 2012.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Really sad. I mean, just what was he thinking? Can't have been accidental as those self check out thingies tell you ifyou put something in your bag without scanning and won't let you pay. He must have been quite crafty to do it and not just a one off.
    Sad.

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I feel sorry for him - shoplifting can be associated with depression so I hope he is OK.

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I think he might well be short of money. His restaurant business is in dire trouble. He rarely seems to be on TV any more - he was dropped by Saturday Kitchen in favour of James Whatsisname ages ago. He releases the odd book but I can't imagine they're huge sellers. And surely a good indicator must have been appearing on I'm A Celebrity... People don't go on that programme at the peak of their careers, do they?
    This is a very sad story. I'm no fan of AWT, but I feel for the guy.

6. BelleDuJour

But nicking a bottle of wine and piece of cheese is hardly going to solve his insolvency!

7. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

He has said he is 'seeking help' - so perhaps he is depressed?
    It sounds like a cry for help in some ways - stealing cheese and wine fromTesco? It's not stealing because he is hungry.
    He has had some bad luck I suppose. His restaurants went into administration a few years ago, and he doesn't get much TV work.....not that that is really an excuse for theft.

8. bizent

bizent Star commenter

So why didn't anyone say anything to him the first five times I wonder?

9. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Agreed, but his insolvency may well have affected his state of mind, leading to the depression suggested by other folk on here.
    I'll leave it there, as it's not fair to make relatively unfounded assumptions on a person I've never met, on a public forum, but will just repeat that I really do feel for the poor guy.

10. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

I've met him, and cooked on stage with him when my daughter was first diagnosed as a coeliac. He recommended Terry Stamp, who I think he knew. As stage impressions go, he was a shrewd showman and I hope he manages to get through his current troubles.

11. henriette

henriette New commenter

my brother in law used to work for him: got out as soon as he could and doesn't have a good word to say about his former boss.

12. BelleDuJour

Yes, I did wonder about that too.

13. I do feel sorry for him, as I am guessing that compulsive stealing is a symptom of some deeper underlying issue...but here's the thing ...If it had been someone else, someone struggling with mental illness, depression or just trying to make ends meet, just an ordinary maybe even desperate person, do you think they would have been let off with a caution..?

14. BelleDuJour

Yes, I thought that too.

15. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I think a lad who stole a bottle of water in the summer riots was jailed for several years!
    AWT has a string of failed marriages and has several families to support.
    His recent actions are bound to lose him all sorts of sponsorship deals. He is the face on some kitchen equipment brands and things like anti-bacterial kitchen wipes.
    I can't work out why he wouldn't be getting his cheese and wine at wholesale prices through his remaining establishments!