1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sad society

Discussion in 'Personal' started by legoearth, Mar 4, 2012.

1. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

My husband came home home this evening quite upset. he had been driving along a city road when he saw something in the gutter ahead. There were several cars in front of him that passed 'it'.
    As he got nearer he saw clearly that 'it' was a young teenager lying motionless in the gutter,his head in the road. All the other vehivles drove on and as e passed to turn around in a driveway, a pedestrian walked passed looking.
    MY HUSBAND HAD TO WAIT FOR THE 5 CARS THAT PASSED THE CHILD TO PASS HIM BEFORE HE COULD GET OUT TO GO BACK!
    He pulled up and flagged down the car that was approaching the child. An ambulance was called and they took him away,to hospital.
    I suppose we'll never know what had happened to the boy or how he gets on.
    What has upset my husband is how many people passed him and drove on and the man that walked passed.
    What sort of a world are we living in that has a child left lying in the gutter? He was so close to being killed by the passing cars. What sort of a world are we living in that puts the child there alone, for whatever reason?

2. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

where drunken kids are a regular pain in the ****. where stopping and helping ends up with you being asked for your name and address and some sort of insurance claim / court appearance. where the kids mates are filming your encounter for youtube. where something nasty lurks. where you just can't be ***** with the faff.

passing by is a valid choice.
    I would probably stop though

3. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

A few years ago a homeless man staggered into a busy road and collapsed. It was a busy tourist town. Cars continued to swerve around and loads of passersby tutted and walked on. They assumed he was drunk and as a homelessman not a worthy human. One very slight girl tried to drag him unsucessfully off the road calling for help from others passing by. Everyone ignored her. By the time my OH got to her to help lift him, she and the homeless man had nearly been hit by a car numerous times. When the ambulance came he was actually diabetic not drunk, not that it matters what was wrong with him, a drunk's life is no less worthless than anyone elses.

4. Is it also not a case of personal safety? I would be less likely to help someone if it was night time, as I would not know the circumstance - maybe the teenager was attacked and the attackers may still be around and if people were already driving past would they then stop to help if anything else happened.

5. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

We can all maje excuses for our personal safety. My husband stopped, stopped the other cars and phoned and ambulance,simple as that. He didn't get involved BUT HE DIDN'T LEAVE A CHILD LYING IN THE GUTTER!!!!!!! Any one of those drivers could have done the same without endangering themselves.

6. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Well done MR Lego. [​IMG]
    I hope you do hear what happened to the boy, but even if you don't MrL can feel proud that he was a good samaritan.

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

A few years ago I saw a man collapse by the side of a busy road, he got up again and staggered around. I pulled over and got out to help him so did another driver although everyone else passed by. It turned out that he was epileptic and had missed his medication and also been drinking, I suspect he also had learning difficulties. The man in the other car was brilliant with the right degree of bluff straightforwardness to get the information required from the injured man, it turned out he was a First Aider at work, I assume in a more 'manly' occupation that mine, if you know what I mean. I dealt with phoning the ambulance and explaining the situation while he prevented the man wandering off dazed.
    Between us we sorted it out but I was very glad not to have been the only person who stopped as I would have been quite out of my depth.

8. Well done to your husband, Legoearth. I hope the child was ok.
    There have been times where I've stopped to help, and other times where I've moved on. Alcohol/levels of drunkenness have been the thing that's stopped me from helping people in the past.
    I think some people don't stop to help because (along with some other reasons that i think lurkmuch outlined) they don't want to be part of a 'spectacle'. They don't want to be stared at. Pathetic, really.

9. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

So glad MrL stopped - I'm sure there are lots more good people around like him even if a few did drive on by, perhaps their conscience is pricking them now. I know I've walked past beggers and so want to go and talk to them but I'm a fairly reserved person anyway with folks I dont know that I find it difficult. I have actually stopped and helped someone lying on the ground a few times and I've even helped an old guy in a car park find his car because he looked so lost!

10. There's no reason not to stop your car and phone the police/ambulance even if you are worried about your personal safety.

11. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

A friend of mine collapsed in the street while we were at university. It was mid afternoon and she was a diabetic who was struggling to balance her insulin levels at the time. Most people assumed that she was drunk and ignored her. That has always made me very aware of the importance of not making assumptions.
    Glad to hear that your husband stopped OP.
    A friend of mine had a similar experience with people driving around a dog that had been hit by a car and was lying in the road. It was still alive when she stopped but died later when she managed to get it to a vet. If someone had stopped earlier then they could have saved it.

12. lurk_much

Bonfire of the Vanities.

13. you could always phone the hospital and ask if the person is ok.

14. lurk_much

I always stop to pick cats and smaller dogs out of the road. They are much less responsibility to assume. I know I am not going to be involved in anything worse than a bloodstained boot floor maybe and a trip to the vets. I would probably ignore the bigger and or bitey types of dog though.
    Being a 'TEENAGER' doesn't count for much with me. They are the least likely recipient for my assistance, I am not responsible for them and past experience has taught me that drunkenness is the most likely cause, druggies can be foul, I don't want to threatened or offered a blow job for a tenner and sick stains your shoes.

15. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

Thanks for the comments. Just for the record the TEENAGER/CHILD was completely motionless with his head in the road.
    I'm gad you appear to know exactly what was wrong with him. It will save me the cost of the phone call to the hospital and obviously the people who drove past had your powers too and saved their mobile batteries for texting on their nights out. I suppose it's good that you don't get involved with humans,they can be tricky all that carey stuff. some of them even give their money away to help other humans,you know, like starving children ,people with cancer and all that other mesy stuff. Stick to your cats and other small non-bitey things...stay safe.

16. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

I would have stopped too though I carry no phone.
    Last year I turned my car round because there was a young girl (very early teens) lying across the pavement with her bike in a heap next to her. When I and another woman car driver got to her she got up and laughed in our faces.
    I'd still stop though and it is a very sad world.

17. This happened to my parents' neighbour. He was away on holiday in the UK and had gone out of the hotel late evening to walk the dog before bed. He's in his 70s. He fell and broke his hip. He was lying on the pavement but he and the dog were clearly visible to the numerous cars that passed him by (in a 30 zone). Eventually someone from the hotel he was staying at came past, recognised him and called an ambulance. It was October. Even if you didn't want to stop for your own safety, surely you would pull in further down the road and ring the police or an ambulance? No matter what you thought was wrong...

18. I would stop, without a doubt.
    I recently fell over whilst running, smashing my knee and cutting my face in the process. People looked at me but said nothing. I got myself up, slowly, looked them in the eye and simply said "Yes, I'm ok- thanks for asking"- this made most of them mumble apologetically and look sheepish. I wonder what's wrong with people at times.
    I don't know how conscience allows people to drive or walk past such things. For those of you who've said you wouldn't intervene, just imagine if we all had that attitude and imagine if it was you lying there.

19. I was driving home down an unlit country road - car pulled over which flashed its headlights. Stopped near the car - teenage girl whose car had broken down. Decided to get out - she was alone and her phone was low on power. Used my phone to call her brother - I waited till he arrived.
    She was in a vulnerable position - I also put myself in a vulnerable position but sometimes you have to do the right thing.