1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sad by Michael Rosen

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Danielle1988, Jul 8, 2011.

1. I am looking in to doing this text with my yr 5/6 class and covering autobiography in English. Has anyone covered this text or know anything about it or linked activities?
    Any help would be great :)

2. I have read it; I bought it for my niece last autumn when my sister died (it was one of 3 copies she was given!). Have you read it? It is - as it says on the tin - almost unbearably sad. Unless you know that class extremely well and are absolutely ready for any issues that it may throw up I think that I would steer well clear. If you do choose to do it I feel that you would have to be sure that it ran alongside an extremely well thought out and incredibly effective PSHE course.

3. Thank you very much for your feedback

4. I agree wwlb. It is a very emotionally charged book and I would be reluctant to use it with a class of primary aged children without a lot of effective PSHE.
    I studied the book as part of my degree essay and was incredibly emotionally drained just reading it.

5. Thank you... It was a suggested text given by the County Council. Has anyone used any good autobiographys? I have got Boy by Roald Dahl

6. You can have some fun with the recent Meerkat "autobiography"
    if you are prepared to tackle the grammatical issues that may arise.