1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sad and personal from my students...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by teachingking123, Oct 26, 2015.

1. teachingking123

teachingking123 Established commenter

Is it me or are students always coming to me with personal worries I know that is my job to be there for them but some of the things they say are upsetting which makes me upset.:(

2. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

I guess it's nice that they see you as approachable and trustworthy and feel you're able to offer help without judging them.

Dragonlady30 and teachingking123 like this.
  3. teachingking123

I know but some of the stuff is just upsetting.

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

If what they are telling you is upsetting then should you be passing it on to your child protection officer?

5. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

We all have our cross to bear, 123.

Rhoswen77 and teachingking123 like this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

@teachingking123

It certainly isn't true of every teacher that students habitually discuss their worries. I'd say it's your job to direct them to an appropriate source of help. Certainly.

It depends what you mean by 'be there for them'. In some cases you absolutely should not deal with such matters on your own. You do need to acquaint yourself with safeguarding policies etc etc.

No use getting upset though. That helps nobody.

7. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

You're human, help them the best you can (Y)

teachingking123 likes this.
  8. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Make sure you know your school policies back to front, esp. those regarding Child Protection issues and,if relevant, the ones recently emphasised on FGM & radicalisation. These place a legal burden on all teachers....

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  9. teachingking123

I help them all. In fact it kind of makes me feel better sorting it out. I do pass this on the the child protection officer as I record their comments.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  10. midnight_angel

midnight_angel Senior commenter

I don't mean to sound harsh, but this seems to very much be a thread of "Oh look at me, I'm such a caring and wonderful teacher that all my students come to me with all their personal issues".
    Do you want us all to praise and applaud you for actually doing your job and following through safeguarding procedures? Hate to tell you this, but you're not the only one students go to for help. We deal with it, follow through with procedures, and try not to let it consume us/upset us, even though in the most severe cases. We do worry about the students.

(That probably sounded harsher than I intended - I've obviously woken up from my afternoon nappy groggy and grumpy.)

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  11. Memphismojo

Memphismojo Established commenter

Try and take comfort from the fact that they trust you enough to tell you what's on their mind.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  12. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Er, a tad harsh, midnight angel :eek:

13. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Afternoon nappy?? :eek::confused:

14. teachingking123

Actually that was quite harsh. Isn't this the personal form were we talk about issues effecting us!?:eek:

15. Rhoswen77

Rhoswen77 Established commenter

It used to be the place where certain types of posters spent amounts of time discussing all sorts of personal issues affecting them...

16. Rhoswen77

But each to... etc

17. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Yes, you know ...
    [​IMG]

18. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

123, it is affecting me adversely that you are confusing 'where' and 'were' and 'affect' and 'effect'. I know that's probably petty of me but it's making me sad.

midnight_angel likes this.
  19. teachingking123

Sorry Lascarina! I am not good at spelling.

20. Rhoswen77

Thank goodness you have standards. It has made me sad too.