1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sad and bizarre events at Newbury races

Discussion in 'Personal' started by inky, Feb 12, 2011.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

It must have been horrible. Two horses became distressed in the paddock then collapsed and died. Other horses were also distressed. There's a theory that they were electrocuted. It must have been horrible.

2. That's dreadful Inky. Did it happen today?

3. Poor horses! It must have been very distressing for the people/horses around them too.
    Not a huge fan of horse-racing, tbh, because of how hard the horses are driven but this sounds like the start of a Dick Francis novel. Hope they find out what happened quickly.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

It happened just a little while ago. They're going to do post mortems. Such lovely creatures.

5. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

How horrible!

My friend is at Newbury this weekend as her boyfriend owns/part owns a couple of horses - I do hope they'e not involved [​IMG]

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

They've cancelled the meeting.

7. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

It was kind of C4 to show the deaths in slow-motion replay.
    Sick tw@ts

8. mickymilan

mickymilan New commenter

hope no one backed them

9. This makes me so sad. I sometimes wonder if rac horses are treatd properly. When I went to Ascot I got to see some of the horses being led out and before hitting the crowds, one guy was screaming at a horse and hitting it. I had tears in my eyes. Poor things :(

10. Electrocuted?
    Electric fences? Tasers? Invisible bolt of lightning? Static from the blankets?

11. Yes, they are treated with an awful lot of love and care.

12. That's good to know PFF :) Have just realised my post has some dreadful typos in it, I blame my very stiff keyboard!
    I wonder what happened to those poor horses, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

13. doomzebra

The insulation on a buried cable will have failed.
    A tragic accident, but nothing whatsoever to do with ill-treatment of animals.

14. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Just spoken to my neighbour who is there. Says they reckon it was a problem with underground electrical cables. Very sad. No one could have foreseen this happening. Poor horses and poor folk who saw it, especially the stable lads who led the horses in the paddock. Neighbour said the lead rope on one of the dead horses was charred.

15. Good Lord, Belle that's awful. The stable lads will have been very lucky themselves.

16. doomzebra

the advantages of wellies over horseshoes

17. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

That is so true DZ.....and it is the truth. Humans have insulating soles to their shoes and only two feet. Horses have bits of metal on all four feet and will suffer a massive shock.
    DL I have spoken to my neighbour (she sent me a text). She is very distressed as she is a horse lover and owner like me. She also knew the owner of one of the horses killed....a 4 year old with great potential. Wouldn't like to be the insurance company for Newbury Racecourse!

18. Well I was thinking that DZ, but wasn't sure whether to say it or not :/

19. I am sure Belle, it will be a complex legal battle to establish who had overall liability.