1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sacked for being an idiot...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Snowflake79, Nov 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Snowflake79

Snowflake79 New commenter

Hello, I was after some advice...

So, I am new to supply, left a very long term and only long term position of 16 years recently to explore new horizons. I’m supply teaching to stay afloat...

I am assigned to a school a few weeks ago, a day here and a day there, they loved me and requested me since and just booked me for a block until Christmas...
    I didn’t realise but prior to half term ( 4 weeks ish ) ago they were OFSTED inspected. They went from outstanding to requires improvement. The news was made public today. Assemblies going on, embarrassing accusations of off rolling embarrassing really.
    How does this affect little old me then I hear you wonder.
    So I have built a good relationship with the school and have returned many times and I think my success is due to after 16 years in an inner city Bradford school, and only having just left the profession, I know my stuff. Never really have an issue with behaviour, don’t really need to bug anyone once I’m rolling and it’s all usually a very pleasant experience Thankyou very much.....
    Regardless of the above there are always some students who will try it on, especially with supply. This is usually dealt with and school behaviour policy followed.
    In this particular case today, a notorious student refused to stop causing commotion and had to be room removed.
    The lesson goes on and they ask if I will play music, I say it’s not allowed and they complain that the school is too strict. I do the teacher thing and defend why rules are in place and in my experience good behaviour means that good teaching and learning can take place.....
    Then I did it... if there weren’t systems in place the “a lot more students would behave like idiots” that what I said. I used the word IDIOT.
    Now I really shouldn’t have, I admit not the most professional word I could have used but hey, I’m human it slipped out.
    So this use of the word ‘idiot’ got back to the head via kids. I dont know what he was told, nor did he care to find out the context (yes I know I shouldn’t have) by speaking to me, the only adult there. But I got a call from my agency to say I was dismissed and they wouldn’t be honouring my booking. Fair enough I thought at the time. I then later found out due to giving the assemblies and public reveal of OUTSTANDING to RI downgrading the head was in a foul mood and I was told had it been another day his response might not have been so extreme. Who knows.
    But it’s got me down since... I feel ****, I feel like I’ve been fired and I’m professionally hurt. Yes I know I shouldn’t have used the word but we are all human right?
    Is what I did really unprofessional and sackable...?
    It’s not a decision I want to fight or anything but I guess my professional pride is hurt here so I’m fishing for your thoughts....

I’d like to add I was labelling the behaviour not the child. He wasn’t even in the room at the time

2. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

To be honest I wouldn't have lasted a week if I'd had To watch my language like that.

3. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

Well they are never going to improve if they get rid of the best teachers are they? Their loss. I hope you get work in another nice school. Don't stress.

4. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

This isn’t really a ‘sacking’ - you are employed by the agency.

forget about it - move on.

caress, tonymars, george1963 and 12 others like this.
  5. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

You're not the first and won't be the last to say it.

6. speechcompanyinfo

speechcompanyinfo New commenter

I think you are best out of that place.
    Normally people don't work in such a stressful environment so that they use words that they don't normally use like idiot.
    However, you were clearly being treated very badly, and because you are human, you made a mistake.
    Its a shame - but - from my experience of returning to supply (at a grammar school … dumped by them today), things ARE very brutal out there. Really scarily so.
    Don't let it get to you.
    I'm off to a kinder school next week, and I'm sure that you'll be booked by a better school too. Remember, sometimes its best to just leave the brutalists behind and move on.

7. Alice K

Alice K Occasional commenter

Don't worry, we have all been there.
    I am sure that there are new horizons ahead for such an experienced, skilled teacher. Absolutely, it is their loss. Onward and upward!

tonymars, pepper5, sebedina and 2 others like this.
  8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Yes to the first and would mean most staff would find themselves in hot water with their head.
    As a supply teacher, you are expendable and the head can simply not invite you back. There are a great many teachers available for supply work and it is relatively easy for the school to find someone else.

JohnJCazorla and IanG like this.
  9. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Hey, you’re Supply. You have been asked to leave one school at short notice. A school that is about to become a very stressful, if not toxic, place to work.

It may take a few weeks but the agency will find other work for you, especially if you are prepared to do long term.

Don’t take it personally. Supply are baited mercilessly by pupils...You snapped, you will probably be more careful in future...

If you are really worried accept a couple of Cover Supervisor days. Agency will definitely find you work.

tonymars, ilja, pepper5 and 6 others like this.
  10. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

In my opinion you did absolutely nothing wrong. Idiot is not a swear word. You didn't call a student an idiot, what's the problem? This is typical of the persecution teachers are being subject to. Can you imagine anyone in the real world being sacked for using the word idiot? I would have used the word idiot to the head and probably a lot worse.

tonymars, jiin71, Caro D and 29 others like this.
  11. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

Exactly.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

You didn't call a kid an idiot. You just describes poor behaviour as idiotic. If they identify with that then it's their problem. On my first ever supply gig, on the 5th day I complained about a class constantly 'bitching'! This led to a girl (who wasn't in the room at the time because the HoY was giving her a 'hairdrying' in the corridor) accusing me of calling her a *****. The kids at the time reacted and I suggested they got their English teacher to explain the difference between an Noun and an Adjective. At the end of the day I was summonsed to the DHT;'s office where a woman who was younger than some of my shoes made me stand while she explained that she had spent the whole day investigating the complaint. She then said that she was happy that I had not called that girl a ***** and actually the kids had backed me up, even quoting my Noun/Adjective sentence! On Tuesday of the following week the same DHT offered me a full time job. I declined.
    Don't worry, it will pass.

13. DrResource

DrResource New commenter

"F**kwit!" - the Head, not the kids.
    Don't sweat the small stuff. As previous have said, plenty of supply in the sea.
    Have a relaxing weekend - I won't as have marking, preparing, planning etc etc etc - maybe Supply is the way to go?

agathamorse and Curae like this.
  14. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Good grief!

35 years ago I inadvertently called a child a tw** and nothing happened. It WAS inadvertently - I never use language like that - but I changed my mind half way through saying the word twit to p r a t.

I'd clearly be sacked for using twit or p r a t these days.

15. Curae

Curae Star commenter

You absolutely did not swear at any child and to imply this is absolute nonsense. Clearly the head teacher needs to focus on what needs to be done in his school to improve it .. he clearly hasn't ( although I am an Ofsted hater) preferring to concentrate on hearsay.

Maybe that's where he's gone wrong what an i...t !

Just move onwards and up !

Good luck

16. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Imagine if staff in schools all actually taught, instead of someon who gets paid far more than you wasting time like this all day. As others say, a lot worse was said in the past, but because the headTEACHERS wer more sensible, nothing much happened and the children had a much better experience than the poor teenagers of today...

17. Curae

Curae Star commenter

Exactly and TBH I am getting tired of some of the negative responses on here that actually back up such nonsense.

18. Curae

Curae Star commenter

In some European countries headship is rotational it's not a definite fixed role for more than 4 years AND HTs are NOT paid any different to say experienced teachers. When i asked why the respondent looked perplexed and responded " well why should they THEY DON'T TEACH !

19. Curae

Curae Star commenter

To the point !

20. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

You justified the need for rules by saying 'if there weren’t systems in place the “a lot more students would behave like idiots”.' I see nothing wrong or unprofessional with this assertion. You didn't call them idiots, either. What the HT did is very common. Words do go around. And, without any verification, people act upon hearsay. Who is the real i...t in this matter?